Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Can't make a decision to save my life........

Default Re: Can't make a decision to save my life........

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    Now that I have made up my mind on the speakers, I would LOVE to save some money on the amp, since I kinda blew my wad on the RAAL Towers.
    I was going to go with the Peachtree Nova125 ($1499) or The NovaPre/Nova220 ($1698). However, I see that the towers are 4 ohm speakers and the Decco65 puts out 65 in to 8ohms and 95w into 4ohms. Would that do the towers justice or should I stick with my original plan?

Thanks.
    Is there any particular reason you are interested in the Peachtree equipment? A much less expensive A/V receiver will provide plenty of power for your needs. I can't see the value added by the more expensive electronics which will sound the same as any other gear which measures comparably. Plus the A/V receiver will probably include some type of room correction, and bass management, which will be usefull when all of these folks talk you into a sub LOL!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    Now that I have made up my mind on the speakers, I would LOVE to save some money on the amp, since I kinda blew my wad on the RAAL Towers.
    I was going to go with the Peachtree Nova125 ($1499) or The NovaPre/Nova220 ($1698). However, I see that the towers are 4 ohm speakers and the Decco65 puts out 65 in to 8ohms and 95w into 4ohms. Would that do the towers justice or should I stick with my original plan?

Thanks.
    When I saw Decco65 specs you mentioned, I thought about this post from Dave

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...6095#post46095

Just the first part where he talks about current capabilities. Not sure I know enough about the subject to say that this is the case with the Decco65, but it definitely gives me some pause and would research further before purchasing.

Other amps that I have seen, and the one I own, double the power output when the speaker impedance is 1/2.

Why handling a discussion like this in such childish fashion, all that's achieved is giving a bad name to high end audio tech nerds. Usually this blog is better than that. Gotta go listen to some music now, definitely beats talking about it by a mile...

Guys, the no sub / sub argument is an interesting one. For over ten years I worked side by side with the man often credited with starting the subwoofer revolution, there were times I preferred listening to music with a perfectly integrated high performance subwoofer and there were times I preferred to listen without a subwoofer. 15 years later, I still have the same experience -- sometimes I prefer with and sometimes I prefer without... No rhyme or reason, just personal preferences that change often.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Nice choice!

IMG_0233.jpg

Also here is an interesting article on subs (and the "need" for two)...

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm

I had read the Ken Rockwell article posted above a while back when debating sub(s) for my stereo system. Reading it again today, this part where he debates the one vs two subs for stereo really stood out for my application:

"Summing the bass to mono is not optimum for stereo music reproduction, unless you have a recording that already has had its bass summed into or mixed as mono. Most music recordings have been released with stereo bass since 1982."

So since most of my record collection spans from the mid 60s to the early 80s I understand better why all my bass seems to come from dead center between the speakers just like from a sub. They are like 12 feet apart and you could swear there is an imaginary sub sitting right in the middle between them. And that's partly why I like the sound of the bass so great with my Towers. Simple as that. It feels like I have a sub there so it saves me from the difficult task of integrating a hi tech sub (or two) into my system. I am now even more glad that this was my music era, thanks to Ken for that info I had overlooked. But I get it, perfectly well integrated subs (if you can get there) would only enhance any system, just not worth the hassle and expense in my case.

I've changed my mind, I am going to cancel my order on the towers and wait for the Sierra-2 to ship....... and no, I won't be using a sub.

I'm with ya RRT-NPS, I thought about ordering Raal towers and Horizon but cannot justify the expense for my budget. It also pains me tha I would have to lose so much on selling my three Sierra-1's. I am, though, really excited about upgrading my front three to Sierra-2's!
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I'm with ya RRT-NPS, I thought about ordering Raal towers and Horizon but cannot justify the expense for my budget. It also pains me tha I would have to lose so much on selling my three Sierra-1's. I am, though, really excited about upgrading my front three to Sierra-2's!
    Yeah I can't justify the expense. I love music and all but I just can't bring myself to let go of almost 3K. When I decided to purchase a system, I budgeted $850 for Sierra-1. I had no idea there was even a Sierra-2 being planned and didn't want to spend what the towers cost. Here I am after a few weeks on the forum not only going for towers, but upgrading to the RAAL. Suze Orman would not be pleased. LOL!

I loved my Sierra-1 and I am sure I will love the Sierra-2. I am spending a little more than originally planned but at least I get to experience that RAAL ribbon that everyone seems to be creaming over.

I never anticipated Ken Rockwell into speaker systems.