Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't make a decision to save my life........

Default Can't make a decision to save my life........

So I decided to buy myself a new system for Christmas. I originally told myself to not go all nuts and get a great system and spend as little as possible.

I was originally going to purchase the Peachtree Decco65 (999) and Zu Audio Omen DW (999). As a previous Sierra-1 owner I thought about going that way again but didn't want to have to purchase stands (Why in the hell are good stands so expensive).

After hearing things about the Omens being shouty, forward, bright, etc, I thought just get the Sierras. Since the Sierras aren't as efficient I thought I should go with the Peachtree Nova125 (1499). Then I find out that not only is there now a Sierra Tower but a new Sierra on the horizon, and of course I had to have that.

I finally decided to get the Sierra-2 but if they are close to the price of the tower, get the tower. I am sure Sierra-2 plus stands will be as much if not more than the towers, so maybe I should get the towers. Also, Peachtree has a sale on their separates the NovaPre and Nova220 combo is only (1698). Of course I think I should get the double the power if I can for just a $199 difference.

At this point, my brain hurts and I have no idea what I will be buying (Sierra-2 or Sierra Tower)..... I think I would put money towards the speaker and not towards a stand, if that makes any sense. I figure I would ask you all WWYD..... What Would You Do.

I tend to listen jazz (Cassandra Wilson, Gretchen Parlato, Lizz Wright), Downtempo (Zero 7) and electronica (Disclosure, 4hero, etc)

Thanks in advance. for your opinions.

Default Re: Can't make a decision to save my life........

Decisions, decisions......such a dilemma!

True, stands are necessary for the Sierra-1/NrT/2. While the Sierra-2 may approach the standard Tower in price, It will have the advantage of the RAAL ribbon tweeter which should give it the edge in the high frequencies. The new mid-woofer will bring the -2 mids close to those of the Tower. The Tower will have the edge in the mids due to the dedicated mid driver, as well as the bottom end due to its dual woofers. If you are crossing the speakers to a sub then the bass advantage of the Towers is all but nullified.

So I guess it comes down to those highs that only the RAAL ribbon can achieve.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Yeah I would get a ribbon with the Sierra-2, I am not sure if I would spring for the ribbon upgrade on the towers, even though I would want to.

Sierra 2 with a pair of 12 rythmik and a HK. I cant imaging the sierra costing close to the towers. With the rythmik you will have deeper bass and the can work as stands.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Sierra 2 with a pair of 12 rythmik and a HK. I cant imaging the sierra costing close to the towers. With the rythmik you will have deeper bass and the can work as stands.
    HK? No subs wanted or needed and I am sure a sub costs more than a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    So I decided to buy myself a new system for Christmas. I originally told myself to not go all nuts and get a great system and spend as little as possible.

I was originally going to purchase the Peachtree Decco65 (999) and Zu Audio Omen DW (999). As a previous Sierra-1 owner I thought about going that way again but didn't want to have to purchase stands (Why in the hell are good stands so expensive).

After hearing things about the Omens being shouty, forward, bright, etc, I thought just get the Sierras. Since the Sierras aren't as efficient I thought I should go with the Peachtree Nova125 (1499). Then I find out that not only is there now a Sierra Tower but a new Sierra on the horizon, and of course I had to have that.

I finally decided to get the Sierra-2 but if they are close to the price of the tower, get the tower. I am sure Sierra-2 plus stands will be as much if not more than the towers, so maybe I should get the towers. Also, Peachtree has a sale on their separates the NovaPre and Nova220 combo is only (1698). Of course I think I should get the double the power if I can for just a $199 difference.

At this point, my brain hurts and I have no idea what I will be buying (Sierra-2 or Sierra Tower)..... I think I would put money towards the speaker and not towards a stand, if that makes any sense. I figure I would ask you all WWYD..... What Would You Do.

I tend to listen jazz (Cassandra Wilson, Gretchen Parlato, Lizz Wright), Downtempo (Zero 7) and electronica (Disclosure, 4hero, etc)

Thanks in advance. for your opinions.
    Speakers make more of a difference than any other component in the signal chain, the next biggest factor is the room.

Considering the genre of music you listen to most (which is generally recorded quite well) I would suggest to go all out for the Towers w/RAAL tweeters and power them with an inexpensive receiver. You can always upgrade the electronics at a later date. I would suggest improving room acoustics might be a better use of that money prior to electronics upgrades.

The Towers are better top to bottom, most notably in the midrange due to the dedicated, sealed midrange driver. Dynamics are also considerably better. I will promise you that you would have no regrets going that route.

Just my humble opinion.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Speakers make more of a difference than any other component in the signal chain, the next biggest factor is the room.

Considering the genre of music you listen to most (which is generally recorded quite well) I would suggest to go all out for the Towers w/RAAL tweeters and power them with an inexpensive receiver. You can always upgrade the electronics at a later date. I would suggest improving room acoustics might be a better use of that money prior to electronics upgrades.

The Towers are better top to bottom, most notably in the midrange due to the dedicated, sealed midrange driver. Dynamics are also considerably better. I will promise you that you would have no regrets going that route.

Just my humble opinion.

Jay
    I've decided on the towers. Now to pic a finish. I am thinking Satin Black Bamboo. Cant decide if I want to spend the extra for the RAAL tweeter. $700 is a lot for tweeters....... just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    I've decided on the towers. Now to pic a finish. I am thinking Satin Black Bamboo. Cant decide if I want to spend the extra for the RAAL tweeter. $700 is a lot for tweeters....... just sayin'
    You'll be listening to these for at least ten years, that's a mere 6 bucks a month. Seriously, for your intended usage, which is similar to my own, I think the RAALs make sense. For Pop/Rock music maybe not.

Interestingly, my wife recently bought a movie soundtrack CD (to the movie "Perfect Pitch"), I was very surprised at how very well recorded it was. On the other hand, she also bought the new Katie Perry CD "Prism" which was terrible. So much dynamic compression it just squeezed the life out of the recording. I think that sound engineer needs to find a different profession. And yet it is fairly typical of current pop recordings.

Just pointing out if you are listening to music that has really good detail, excellent dynamic range, and serious transients, you will get the best it has to offer with the RAALs. You've never heard cymbals/high hats, for instance, sound like they do when a RAAL ribbon reproduces them (except for live of course). In a word, sublime!

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 11-16-2013 at 07:12 AM.

I will chime in simply to say, from my own experience, do whatever it takes to get yourself some RAAL ribbon tweeters. I have 3 custom-built Sierra Horizon speakers, all with the RAAL 70-20XR ribbons. I also have a pair of custom built Sierra-1 cabinets with the RAAL 70-20XR tweeter and the same phase plug mid-range driver as the Towers/Horizons in them as Front Wide speakers.

I must say, I have zero regrets about those purchases, and I am SO GLAD that I opted for those highly customized Front Wide Sierra-1s. You see, I also have Sierra-1 NrT Surrounds, Surround Backs & Front Heights. Naturally, I have tried putting the Sierra-1 NrT in the Front Wide positions, just to see how they would compare.

Now, let me be clear: the Sierra-1 NrT are excellent sounding speakers! But with them in place of my custom Wides, I can spot the transition from them to the Front Mains if I'm listening for it. With the custom RAAL 70-20XR + Tower midrange Wides, the sound field is absolutely seamless.

I hate the whole "veils were lifted" line that's so often used in speaker reviews. But it's honestly rather apt in this instance. There's just an extra bit of realism and clarity with the RAAL ribbons vs. the Sierra-1 NrT. Again, to be clear, the Sierra-1 NrT are really, really close. It's a big time case of diminishing returns. But there ARE returns for the extra money paid.

The best way I can put it is that, after some careful listening time, I have decided that I will eventually upgrade all of my Sierra-1 NrT speakers to Sierra-2. Now, I must stress, this is not because I am at all displeased or disappointed with the Sierra-1 NrT speakers. Rather, it is a case where I really feel as though I am THIS CLOSE to absolute audio perfection, and I simply want to "push it over the edge", and take it as far as I can possibly go. The transition from the front soundstage to the Surround and Surround Back speakers is just a hair away from flawless.

I hope that Dave will not feel as though I am bad mouthing the Sierra-1 NrT in any way, because that is not at all what I am trying to convey. Dave himself is saying that the Sierra-2 are the best 2-way bookshelf speakers he has ever heard at any price point. And that would include Ascend's own Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT. Obviously, I've not yet heard the Sierra-2. But since I HAVE heard the Sierra Horizon RAAL and my custom Sierra-1 cabinets with the RAAL 70-20XR + Tower midrange in them, I trust what Dave is sayings about the Sierra-2 completely.

This is a case of refinement, not revolution. You wouldn't listen to my Sierra-1 NrT in place of my custom RAAL Wides and say, "oh, those are worlds apart". But if you're at all like me, you WILL say that there IS a difference, and that you really do get something just that little bit closer to perfection for the extra money spent.

So, all of that in mind, if you cannot afford the Sierra Towers RAAL, I'd urge you to strongly consider the Sierra-2. When you say you want "perfection", to my mind, with all my years of critical listening, and my new speakers VERY fresh in my mind, that means getting a RAAL ribbon tweeter - simple as that

I would buy the best speaker I could afford with the RAAL right away. The RAAL is worth every penny for the type of music you listen to.

The new Sierra 2 is an exciting option because you would have a fantastic speaker right away. You could later add a sub as funds allow and reach the sound quality of the towers.

As far as stands, I have used everything from bookcases to plant stands before shelling out for a set of $400 stands for some B&W 602s. Honestly, I could not tell the difference from the plant stands (cut down to the correct level and weighted of course) from a set of dedicated speaker stands.

I have the towers with the RAALs and love them.