Thread: Space and Speaker Position

Default Space and Speaker Position

Hey All,

For those browsers of AVS I apologize for the repetition, but I didn't get much response on AVS.

I have drawn up a quick schematic of my 1st floor and I was hoping for some tips for my speaker placement. I don't have an expensive mic and I hadn't planned on spending too much time calibrating the system (unless you guys recommend otherwise). I ordered Ascend Acoustic 340's for the front three, 170's for the surround and an LV12R. I have a pair of surround stands currently mounted on either side of the couch. I also have bookshelves currently sitting below either window on the floor -- to the left and right of my entertainment stand and angled slightly inward. The center is sitting on top of the entertainment stand. My system is powered by Sony DN840. Floor is bamboo but I have several large area rugs throughout the first floor.

You guys have taught me that it is ideal to have tweeters of front sound stage at ear level. I didn't purchase stands for my left and right. Should I consider stands? Also, I don't need to fill the entire first floor, but I do want to know if the newly purchased setup will fill the listening area. I use the system for 70% HT, 20% Music and 10% Games. Any recommendations will be helpful as I am quite new to quality sound equipment.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Default Re: Space and Speaker Position

I would definitely recommend stands to get the front L/R speakers off the floor and the tweeters closer to ear level. Having the surrounds on stands as you do is always a good idea, preferably about a foot above ear level. Also, instead of directly to the sides of the couch, have them a couple of feet farther back and angled toward the listening position (if that works with your furniture layout). This should give you a better "surround" experience. You can google home theater speaker placement and find some good diagrams for a 5.1 setup.

I don't think you don't need an expensive mic, just use the Sony's included mic. I'm not familiar with Sony's calibration software, but I would run it just to see if you like the results. At the very least, you can confirm that your speakers are connected properly. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Dina called me today and told me that my speakers are shipping this week -- I'm very excited.

I'd recommend getting something like the Auralex SubDude HT for beneath the Rythmik. It will really help limit vibration transfer/resonation in your bamboo floor that should boost the overall SQ.

Thanks for the tip. I might seriously look in to the Auralex. I haven't written anything up yet on my speakers/sub but I plan to post a review over on AVS. I am experiencing some rattling but mostly in the wall to the right of HT setup. I have the sub pulled out from the corner about 8" on the back (windowed) wall and right wall. The main seating position is right on the edge of a null spot. I plan to play around with positioning but changing the position would mean I need to get stands for the 340 fronts. Would the SubDude HT limit vibrations in surrounding windows/walls as well?

Quote Originally Posted by ianvanore View Post
    Would the SubDude HT limit vibrations in surrounding windows/walls as well?
    Providing the rattling is being caused from the vibrations traveling through the floor and into those surfaces, I would say yes it should help quite a bit. I've also had good success using a 3"-thick maple platform sitting on these isolation pads with another set between the platform and the sub, so isolation pad/platform/isolation pad/sub. Cost is about the same in either case.