Thread: Upgrading from a Definitive Technology Procinema 600- Please Advise

Default Upgrading from a Definitive Technology Procinema 600- Please Advise

Hey all, I'm a huge fan of Ascend Acoustics. I had a 5.1 surround sound system in 2006. It was CBM-170s LCR and the HTM-200s for the L/R surround. I fell into some hard times and had to part with them. Here I am 7 years later, ready to build another system and my wife balks at the "size of the speakers". She really wants awesome sound with invisible speakers. I'm certain that others out there have experienced something similiar. As kind of a temporary compromise, I bought a Denon AVR-X2000 and Definitive Technology Procinema 600 package from Best Buy for $999.99. My wife agreed that I could buy the LVR12 to complete our HTS. I knew that these speakers would be weak compared to the Ascend's, but I had to get in where I could. (I haven't bought it yet)

Soooo.... Here's my question: What would increase the movie experience better? The LVR12 or a new center speaker? I'm thinking/hoping that if I replace my current Procinema 600 center speaker with a Sierra 1 center, then I could demo the quality of sound difference and persuade her into allowing me to replace the front soundstage with CMT-340 L/R and the Sierra 1 center.

If I do this, will the Sierra 1 center totally overpower the Procinema 600 L/Rs, making it sound weird or distorted?

Also, should I forgo upgrading the center and spring for the LVR12 like I had originally planned? My fear is that if I do this, then I'm stuck and can't persuade her to move to the Sierra / CMT front stage.

At any rate, I'll pause here and let the experts guide me. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Semper Fi,
    Lance

Room Size:
    10' x 16' x 9'ceiling

Pure Movie Watching-No musical interests

Default Re: Upgrading from a Definitive Technology Procinema 600- Please Advise

Quote Originally Posted by battlefrog View Post
    Soooo.... Here's my question: What would increase the movie experience better? The LVR12 or a new center speaker? I'm thinking/hoping that if I replace my current Procinema 600 center speaker with a Sierra 1 center, then I could demo the quality of sound difference and persuade her into allowing me to replace the front soundstage with CMT-340 L/R and the Sierra 1 center.

If I do this, will the Sierra 1 center totally overpower the Procinema 600 L/Rs, making it sound weird or distorted?

Also, should I forgo upgrading the center and spring for the LVR12 like I had originally planned? My fear is that if I do this, then I'm stuck and can't persuade her to move to the Sierra / CMT front stage.

At any rate, I'll pause here and let the experts guide me. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Semper Fi,
    Lance

Room Size:
    10' x 16' x 9'ceiling

Pure Movie Watching-No musical interests
    Hi Battlefrog,

Just a quick question for you -- are you already using a subwoofer with your current system?

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave! I am currently using the 8" DT subwoofer that comes with the Procinema 600 package.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by battlefrog View Post
    Hi Dave! I am currently using the 8" DT subwoofer that comes with the Procinema 600 package.

Thanks for the reply!
    This is tough -- Purchasing just the center will not really give you much of a taste of what a full blown Ascend 5.1 system is capable of. On the other hand, you already have a sub and while upgrading to the LV12R will give you greater dynamics, more punch and better dynamics -- my honest recommendation would be to upgrade the all front (3) speakers.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, thanks for the reply. I'm going to s l o w l y work my way into a full Sierra-1 front stage. I think I'll be able to purchase the center next week. With that being said can you answer something for me? Why are there 4 posts on the back of your speakers? I know this shows my severe lack of technical knowledge, but I do not need to be a techy to be able to appreciate beautiful sound, right??

Thanks,
    Lance