Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you only had one song to play...

Default Re: If you only had one song to play...

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Yep, Prog Metal - Cognitive is fantastic, their best IMO.
    You listen to my kind of music! No wonder your speakers sound so good playing it! The mention of Soen really surprised me because they're not exactly a well known band, but they're really pretty good and I hear shades of Tool in their music. I discovered them on Amazon HD music a little over a year ago and played the crap out of a couple of their albums, but Cognitive is the one that really grabbed me. How cool.

I agree also that Danny just might be the best drummer alive right now, but there are a few out there. I've been getting into Meshuggah a little bit lately and Thomas Haake is a pretty special talent also. I have to be in the right mood for Meshuggah tho. They're about as heavy a band as I can get into with the screamy/guttural vocals, but they're a talented group otherwise.

He does a 32nd note double bass "gallop" all through that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    You listen to my kind of music! No wonder your speakers sound so good playing it! The mention of Soen really surprised me because they're not exactly a well known band, but they're really pretty good and I hear shades of Tool in their music. I discovered them on Amazon HD music a little over a year ago and played the crap out of a couple of their albums, but Cognitive is the one that really grabbed me. How cool.
    I listen to tons of different music these days. I have taken full advantage of Spotify's new feature that finally allows for offline listening from an apple watch. I just have Spotify create a random mix based on whatever genre I am into that day. If I hear something I like, I then download the entire album from that particular artist onto my apple watch and that is my music during my 90 minute daily workout / physical therapy session. I make sure my phone is NOT on me - it is my daily 90 minute DO NOT DISTURB ME routine

I listen to a minimum of one album I have never listened to before per day.

This evening was the album "Mandylion" from a band called The Gathering. Similar style to Lacuna Coil and Evanescence, terrific female vocalist.

If you get a chance, check out Katatonia

Meshuggah is too heavy for my tastes, I don't like screaming vocals but that double bass is impressive.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

For a quiet listening session, try Anette Askvik: Liberty.
    Also listening to some Allan Taylor and Hans Theesink

For some fun techno stuff, I like Yello's Toy CD!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    For a quiet listening session, try Anette Askvik: Liberty.
    Also listening to some Allan Taylor and Hans Theesink

For some fun techno stuff, I like Yello's Toy CD!
    Listening to Liberty right now, very relaxing - just what the Dr. ordered for a late night listening session

Thanks for the recommendation!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Listening to Liberty right now, very relaxing - just what the Dr. ordered for a late night listening session

Thanks for the recommendation!
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Oh, my, that voice and the sax in "Liberty"! Reminded me once more why I love the midrange of my CMT-340SE mains.

Excellent recommendation, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Okay I'll bite...Virtue from Jesse Cook's Free Fall CD....it has these cymbals you can faintly hear in the background. Before auditioning my Sierra 1's ...I never really noticed that song on my other speakers...what does that tell you about the Ascends. But IMO prudy much anything Jesse Cook sounds sweet....the Ascends really complement his style of playing.
    Great guitarist!! Thanks for mentioning, Billy! I need to grab one of his CDs today to play!

Robert Gordon w/Link Wray from the LP, 'Fresh Fish Special' - "The Way I Walk"
    Solid vocals, guitar, bass, and drums!! It's the very first song I played when I hooked up my new Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbons! I was floored! And, No subwoofer! Even, my wife paid attention, and she's rather passive when it comes to music.
    This is definitely a really fun record - the entire record, to show off the Ascends! Just wait for, "Twenty Flight Rock"!!!

I think there are some really great choices! I know that when I was notified my Sierra Towers had shipped back in November 2020, I was trying to decide what I wanted to listen to first. Not an easy decision. I was getting ready to disconnect my Paradigm Monitor 7 V. 5 towers that were also connected to my Mirage subwoofer. It was a nice marriage that had been working quite well since around 2009 for my 2 channel front end!
    No question; it was a leap of faith to buy new towers (end game speakers for me) that had 5.25" woofers!! My Paradigm's have 5.25" woofers!! Seems like a rather lateral move!!
    I had already considered several brands that offered towers with 6" & 8" woofers! I spent months shopping. Not to mention; my budget started at about $1,500 for a pair! Even one or two brands had a subwoofer built into the tower. To shorten a long story; after about 30 (Yes, 30!) emails between David and myself, I decided to buy the Ascends! Glad I did, too!!

- Greg