Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you only had one song to play...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default If you only had one song to play...

Okay, I know this is just a variation on another thread theme but I'm going to ask anyway:

If you only had one song to play to really show off your Ascends, what song would you pick?

I ask because I'm having a large group of non-audiophiles with short attention spans over for an event unrelated to music and I suspect I'll have just one chance to really show off my towers so I don't want to blow it.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Ken

Default Re: If you only had one song to play...

Oh man, that's a tough question.

I think the overall response will depend a great deal on the audiences' tastes. If you play a stunning chamber orchestra performance, but the audience hates classical, it won't have much of an impact. If you choose prog rock, but most of the attendees prefer pop, it might not really matter.

If I could choose only one song, I'd probably select something that doesn't require a long build up, something with a groove, and with common instruments like bass, guitar, drums, percussion, etc.

Switchback or Querido Amigo (by Jesse Cook | Free Fall album)

If you had more time and your guests were more interested, I'd suggest that the guests bring some of their favorite music instead. It's always great to see someone's face light up when they hear their favorite music played like they've never heard it before. Most folks these days are used to iPods and poor-quality earbuds.
    -Jacob

Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms- side two. That would blow anyone's musical mind away, classical, jazz, pop, rock fans or whatever, no matter. Enjoy!

Nils Lofgren's "Keith Don't Go"
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Okay I'll bite...Virtue from Jesse Cook's Free Fall CD....it has these cymbals you can faintly hear in the background. Before auditioning my Sierra 1's ...I never really noticed that song on my other speakers...what does that tell you about the Ascends. But IMO prudy much anything Jesse Cook sounds sweet....the Ascends really complement his style of playing.
    Last edited by billy p; 10-01-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Okay I'll bite...Virtue from Jesse Cook's Free Fall CD....it has these cymbals you can faintly hear in the background. Before auditioning my Sierra 1's ...I never really noticed that song on my other speakers...what does that tell you about the Ascends. But IMO prudy much anything Jesse Cook sounds sweet....the Ascends really complement his style of playing.
    Great guitarist!! Thanks for mentioning, Billy! I need to grab one of his CDs today to play!

Quote Originally Posted by kcoakley View Post
    Okay, I know this is just a variation on another thread theme but I'm going to ask anyway:

If you only had one song to play to really show off your Ascends, what song would you pick?

I ask because I'm having a large group of non-audiophiles with short attention spans over for an event unrelated to music and I suspect I'll have just one chance to really show off my towers so I don't want to blow it.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Ken
    Stereo, or multi channel? They would be different for me.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Stereo, or multi channel? They would be different for me.

Jay
    Hi Jay,

I'd love to know your choices for both stereo and multi-channel. These would be different for me as well.

Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kcoakley View Post
    Hi Jay,

I'd love to know your choices for both stereo and multi-channel. These would be different for me as well.

Thanks,
    Ken
    This really is a tough question because you need to take into account the demographics, and genre preferences of your audience.

That said, for a stereo demo it'd be hard to beat Joe Cocker's "Unchain My Heart" as a serious rocker that has it all top to bottom. Great dynamics, bass, treble, horns, male vocal, female vocal, rockabilly piano, great drum track, very nice bass guitar, lead guitar, etc... Very well recorded for a mainstream rock title.

Although I'm mostly a jazz fan these days, I think my pick for an awesome multi-channel track would be something out of the AIX catalog, something like chapter four of "Moonlight Acoustica", which showcases the amazing imaging abilities of the Ascend ensemble in addition to their dynamic, and detail prowess. I love when a multi-track images an instrument in space between the front and rear speakers where the sound seems to just come out of nowhere.

Jay

Old thread but I'll play.........Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue by the London Festival orchestra 1966. Everyone knows it they don't know how great it sounds with the RAAL towers.......