Thread: adjustments for older ears

Default adjustments for older ears

This may be a bit OT, but I have a 5.1 HT system with 3 Sierra-1's up front and 2 370s in back.

I set up my Yamaha receiver manually, setting the correct distances for each speaker, putting the subwoofer crossover at 60, and having no special audio processing (just "straight") for my listening.

The problem is the same one I have in rooms with a lot of people speaking. The sounds I don't need to hear mask the person I'm trying to listen to. WIth a movie, especially a softly spoken or whispered line, I may have to repeat it 2 or 3 times.

Any suggestions? Should I try to make the center channel louder, or...what? So far, all that has helped at all is listening with headphones, but I"d like to use my speakers.

Default Re: adjustments for older ears

Sure...go ahead and turn up the the center channel. Adjust the system any way you see fit to your liking...there is nothing wrong with that.
    -curtis

Default Re: adjustments for older ears

Hi powerdog

Just curious if your left and right speakers are closer to the rear and side walls of the room. For that matter is the center speaker closer to the rear wall?. You may be hearing reflections off the walls or other objects around your speakers which may be smearing the sound.

I myself am a newbie to audio and am currently working with gik acoustics to help me in minimizing the distortions in my set up. They offer a free audio advice service by the way. You may want to try it.

My 0.02$
    -R