Thread: My living room floor plan?

Default My living room floor plan?

From the beginning of time, coming up with an ideal listening position and speaker/tv positioning was challenging. I don't have ascends yet, but my TV is catty-cornered and so are my current speakers. I always wondered if this would cause for strange staging or another listening issues? I considered moving the TV over the fireplace mantel so my speakers can be backed up to flat walls instead of a corner. I'm not sure if that is better, perhaps adding new issues of heat or neck issues from the viewing angle. Any suggestions? See attached for mock diagram of the existing space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My living room floor plan?

This is certainly a challengening room.

I might surrender and install good ceiling speakers until I had a home better suited

B.

Is this plan accurate? Are there any doors? What is on that southern wall? Can you place the TV to the right of the window?

Here are a few pictures to help put it in to perspective. I think as far as home theater positioning of speakers, having the TV over the mantel would be best. I'm not sure if that would be hard on the neck or not. I know the speakers in the corner, isn't ideal.IMAG0113.jpgIMAG0115.jpgIMAG0116.jpgIMAG0378.jpg

I'll have to agree with Blutarsky. A very challenging room.

If it were me I'd put the tv over the fireplace. You should only look up and it shouldn't be an issue unless you're watching with bi-focals. Aesthetically it will be more pleasing and should be sonically as well. Another couch under the window or adding drapes should also break up the hard surfaces and that's a good thing.

If A/V is your true priority you could see how much to cover the fireplace. I think a contracter could build a framework over it and cover it with drywall. You could undo it when you sold the home.

Blutarsky

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    If A/V is your true priority you could see how much to cover the fireplace. I think a contracter could build a framework over it and cover it with drywall. You could undo it when you sold the home.

Blutarsky
    Or build a false wall around it that could simply be dismantled at a later date.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think mounting it over the Fireplace is likely the route I'll go. Now I just need to figure out how I will mount the center channel? The mantel isn't 10" deep so I'd need something to hold in place. Any suitable shelves out there for center channels?

I like Ed's idea. If the fire place really isn't used then a false cover would be awesome. Imagine it about 1/2" larger so when lifted out of the way it wouldn't have touched/marred the existing in anyway and can be later discarded. It can be made to look just like what you have now but contain an insert to house the center speaker below or the upper mantle can extend out just enough to hold the speaker.

This would be an interesting project.

We use the fireplace every winter, so that is out of the question.