Thread: Denon 1713 + 3x Sierra-1 = Enough Power?

Default Denon 1713 + 3x Sierra-1 = Enough Power?

Hello,

I plan to build my first HT build, which has been a dream for me since childhood.

I found an amazing deal on the Denon 1713, which meets ALL of my needs feature wise. I will never add an amp in the future, just a sub. Due to the savings I can now afford the LCR configuration of 3x 340 SE's but now debating if I should just step up for 3x Sierra-1's? Plan to keep this setup for 8+ years. Plus I see 3x Sierra-1's in the B stock for sale right now. I know the 340 SE's would be just fine with the 1713, not familiar with the Sierra-1's.

I live in a townhouse with thin walls, so I will never be blasting the sound too loud. It will be 50% Music and 50% HT. Should the 1713 be enough power or should I save up a little and go for the Denon 2113CI?

Also, would the Sierra-1's be comparable or better than the sound quality in the movie theater?

Default Re: Denon 1713 + 3x Sierra-1 = Enough Power?

Quote Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
    Also, would the Sierra-1's be comparable or better than the sound quality in the movie theater?
    With a bias, I'd wholeheartedly feel that they would be better. That aside, you also need to take room acoustics, treatments, and placements into consideration for things to be more of a 'movie theater'. As far as volume goes, the Sierra's are a bit less sensitive than the 340's.

edit: 80w/ch 'might' be a bit pushing it tho, at least without a sub-xover used.
    Last edited by choirbass; 08-07-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Which Denon would be Ideal without breaking a bank ?

Thanks for the response choirbass. I am going to stick with the 1713 since it was $254 after tax from a Best Buy clearance sale. The 2113CI does not seem to be worth the $150 extra.

I will temporarily use some random KLH 10" sub I have sitting in a closet until I can find a sweet deal on a real sub around Thanksgiving/Christmas sales.
    Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 08-07-2013 at 06:40 AM.

How far away will you be sitting from the speakers?
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4

I will be sitting between 7-8 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
    I will be sitting between 7-8 feet away.
    I think that receiver should have enough power for Sierra's in your situation. The fact that you are not sitting all that far away and will not be playing them really loud leads me to believe it should be enough power. Although if you run audyssey I would make sure that you do not run them full range. Otherwise audyssey will boost the lower frequencies which can cause damage to the woofers while watching movies without a sub.
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4

My setup is similar to yours. I bought the Denon 1712 from BB on clearance ($149 YAY!) and have a pair of Sierras. I sit 7-8 ft away. I'm currently using them in my 11'x11'x8' bedroom and am very pleased with the sound quality and quantity.

I don't listen at reference levels so my volume is usually between 35-25. On certain programs where the volume output is lower for whatever reason I have to go as high as 10 to match the 35-25 volume from most programming.