Thread: Tower speaker

Default Tower speaker

I'm new to this forum and I just got my new Sierra towers hooked them up to my Marantz SR 7007 at 100 W per channel. Do these speakers need a amp because I'm not liking what I'm hearing.Im not real educated and I don't know all the ins and outs of good sound.Can someone help me.

Default Re: Tower speaker

An amp can give you additional volume but won't change the basic sound of the speakers. It might be that the speakers need to be broken in a little. It also could take your ears a while to get used to the sound. What speakers are you coming from? Are you using any of the electronic processing on the receiver such as Dynamic Volume, Audyssey and so forth? You might try 'direct mode'.

Also, what is the source? CD, radio, movies, etc?

Thank you so much for the reply.Ive been playing around some and feel allittle better.ill be using for mostly for music.Which will be cd and and Fibor optic music channels .The reason I mentioned an amp is because I've always noticed that at low volume it always seems better if you amped the speaker as much as possible without hurting it, you could get fuller sound.Hope that makes sence.getting used to them is good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lraney View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply.Ive been playing around some and feel allittle better.ill be using for mostly for music.Which will be cd and and Fibor optic music channels .The reason I mentioned an amp is because I've always noticed that at low volume it always seems better if you amped the speaker as much as possible without hurting it, you could get fuller sound.Hope that makes sence.getting used to them is good advice.
    Hi Lraney,

Are you using the speakers together with a subwoofer or running them full range? Watts are watts --- at low volume levels, you are probably pushing no more than a watt or two into each tower. It does not matter if those few watts come from a 50 watt receiver or a 500 watt amplifier.

Also, have you run through the Audyssey setup in your receiver?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I haven't done audyssey yet , I need to get my center first.Im using a definitive supercube1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lraney View Post
    I haven't done audyssey yet , I need to get my center first.Im using a definitive supercube1.
    If you haven't yet run Audyssey, I strongly recommend manually setting a crossover point of 60Hz between the sub and speakers. You should not run the speakers full range when paired with the subwoofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com