Thread: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1

Default Wave Crest Audio HVL-1

For those who may have missed the Ascend newsletter on May 23, 2013, check out the HVL-1 loudspeaker by Wave Crest Audio. Our very own Dave and Curtis, partners in Good Sound, offer this new product for those seeking "extreme value" without wanting to compromise on sound quality.

I ordered a pair of these shortly after they debuted. My formal review is posted here at AVS.

You can also comment at the bottom of the HVL-1 product page.
    -Jacob

Default Re: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1

Hmmm... I don't get it! Wave Crest Audio is a new company owned by Dave snd Curtis? I'm not on the ndews letter so... And what is partners in good sound? Wow, I'm really out of the loop lol

Hi GirgleMirt,

If you'd like to join the Ascend mailing list, fill in the requested information here. Also required is a 1,000 word essay on why you love Ascend, plus a $50 donation to Dave's Vacation Fund.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Wave Crest Audio is owned and run by Curtis. However, Dave and Curtis worked together during the design phase to ensure the HVL-1's performance goals. I would guess that Dave doesn't interact with the day-to-day stuff at WCA, although he might field specific design/engineering questions if necessary.

My comment about "partners in Good Sound" was just a creative way to blend information: the slogan of Ascend and the fact that Curtis and Dave worked together to bring the HVL-1 market.
    -Jacob

Ah! Interesting! thx! Well congrats Curtis on the new company and product and good luck in your new venture!

Reading the thread linked above informs quite a bit very good review!

I figured I would bump this thread up. I just ordered (3) of these which will be used in my second HT room in my home. I will be comparing them to the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22's that I currently have. Although I do like the BS22's, I am thinking the HVL-1's might be a bit better and wind up replacing them. Stay tuned.....
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    I figured I would bump this thread up. I just ordered (3) of these which will be used in my second HT room in my home. I will be comparing them to the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22's that I currently have. Although I do like the BS22's, I am thinking the HVL-1's might be a bit better and wind up replacing them. Stay tuned.....
    Looking forward to your thoughts Mike.

My review....

HVL's LCR
    Pioneer BS22's L/R Surrounds
    Audyssey engaged
    Everything "small" and X Over @80Hz
    SW PSA XV15

Music:
    Crisp, detailed, punchy, realistic, transparent. Amazing!!
    Soundstage is more than adequate. The HVL's play just fine with the other speakers and blend nicely with the XV15. I am listening to a Marion Meadows SACD and it sounds like his horn is being played in my basement!
    These HVL's are just that good! The Pioneers are doing great as well as surrounds. I have lots of great mid range and zero muddy muffled notes.

HT:
    These things are pretty darn dynamic and do not dislike being challenged by the master volume. I have my the center channel HVL laying down and it has no problem belting out nice clear, crisp life like dialog! I am very surprised at how dynamic these really are compared to the Pioneer BS22's as LCR speakers. The Pioneers were no slouch for their price, but the HVL's just take it to another level. Yes, these HVL's sound very similar to the Ascend Acoustic line of speakers. It is amazing how similar, I just don't know how they did it for what these cost!

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive bookshelf speaker that passes the the WAF and sounds like a speaker that is 2 to 3 times its price, look no further than these.

Curtis, Dave F, these are truly excellent speakers and a huge thumbs up for putting something out like this and not cutting the costs in what really counts the sound quality, but cutting costs in other areas to be able to offer these at a steal of a price!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Very happy that you like them, Mike!
    -curtis