Thread: How to setup speakers in my living room?

Default How to setup speakers in my living room?

First post here! Looks like great products and I'm looking forward to being an owner shortly but I need some help.

We just moved to a new house and I need some help determining speaker locations (5.1). I have the TV on a Salamander 236 stand now but I took the pictures before getting that in. My plan is to upgrade from the Polks to Ascend 340s across the front and either 170s or 200s for surrounds. Pictures here:
    1.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    (the dogs like the new furniture)
    4.jpeg

I think my "best" options for surrounds is a wall mount above the sliding glass door and one sticking out from the built in. I considered stands on either side of the couch but I have no way to hide the wires going to them.

Your thoughts?

Default Re: How to setup speakers in my living room?

Looks like ceiling speakers would be good for this room.

These have soft dome tweeters and can be "aimed" towards the listener.

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=73

I have seen them on Amazon
    B.

I was really hoping to avoid in ceiling speakers. They're always an option but I've never been a fan of them.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the setup I'm considering?

Hi hockeyrcks9901,

If you prefer the surrounds on either side of the couch, you might check out a cord protector like this. It will hide and protect the cable from being stepped on or tripped over. When I set up my parent's HT system, I used two packs of the cord protector I linked to. It also has double-backed tape underneath so the strip can be affixed to the floor (even carpet) to prevent it from being kicked/tripped over. There are various colors and sizes, so I'm sure there's one to fit your requirement. The only downside I see right now with placing surrounds on stands is that your dogs might bump into them, knocking them over. Consider stands that can be weighted with sand or lead shot to help keep them stable.

Otherwise, mounting to the walls would be the next thing I'd do. The HTM-200 SE would probably work better here: less weight and smaller enclosure.

I own both the 170s and 200s for different applications. The size, weight, sealed enclosure, and overall aesthetics of the 200s work better for surround speakers in my room. The 170s do give "bigger" sound, lower bass extension, and a more neutral character (IMO), but they are substantially larger in comparison. For wall mounting, I'd probably go with 200s. For stand mounts flanking the couch, either could work.
    -Jacob