Thread: CMT-340 SE or Sierra Tower - Need Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Only State Created During The Civil War

Question CMT-340 SE or Sierra Tower - Need Advice

Ok, here's the scoop. I replacing the Infinity Primus fronts and center, and I am going with Ascend, but the question is which pair.

Audio System is... Marantz SR5005 receiver, Denon Network Audio Player, and Infinity Primus fronts and center.

Our home is a bi-level and coming up a small flight of stairs is our living room. Dimensions are 11ft wide x 14ft deep. Coming up the stairs there is a 4ft wall which is where our sofa is. Between the living room and dining/kitchen, there is a small table with a chair on either side. Across the room from the sofa is the long wall and this is where the audio credenza sits. The two Infinity Primus sit on either side of the credenza with the center sitting on top and center. Flooring is low pile carpeting. Above the credenza is a painting my Mother-in-law painted several years ago when declining health forced her to quit. Across the room from the two chairs is the only window with curtains. These are not thick but they are not sheer. When pulled you can still see out of them.

This time around, I was thinking about going with the CMT-340s. I think the room is the right size that would complement the CMT-340s. However, the Sierra Tower would be what I'm replacing now but a little taller. The Infinitys are 36 3/4 inches high, where the Towers are 43 inches high.

There you have it in a nutshell. I hope I have provided enough information for you to determine which would you think would give the best sound quality overall. Those who have a similar size room, you're comments/thoughts/advise is greatly need. I'm hoping to purchase by next Friday.

Thank you in advance for the help!!

Default Re: CMT-340 SE or Sierra Tower - Need Advice

You worded some of that somewhat confusing to me, but I think I get the idea!

If it is a choice between the 340's and the Sierra Towers, and the big price difference is not an issue, there really is no choice in my mind. TOWERS!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I think I am more confused than Ed.

What is your criteria for the speaker? Just size?

The Sierra Tower is a much better speaker, but it is also close to four times the cost.
    -curtis

Could be an assumption that the Infinity Primus and Sierra Tower's sound similar (as the OP did say he was looking to replace the Sierra Tower's), but if that's the case.. then I'm not quite sure either. You would be saving a lot of money choosing the CMT-340's instead.. tho if size is the main concern rather than cost, then Sierra-1's would be a better option (the 340's are definitely larger than the Sierra-1's).
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

The Only State Created During The Civil War

I didn't mean to confuse everyone. What I'm asking is will the CMT-340s give me the sound quality, and given the size of the room (11ft wide x 14ft deep) would they be a better fit. Or would be best to stick with a tower again? I would think the towers would be overkill, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Comparing acoustic qualities of one to the other, the towers are simply a better option if given the choice. Not overkill by any means
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html

NRT is a $300 tweeter and crossover upgrade.