Thread: lv12r?

Default lv12r?

Anybody get one yet? I have a F12 which is for my stereo (currently on my tv but moving to my stereo). Get another F12 or the new LV12r for my tv for movies? Discuss

Default Re: lv12r?

Hi musicguy,

The new LV12R uses a Hypex Class D amplifier, which is an interesting move for Rythmik since previous models have been traditional Class A/B designs. I've heard good things about Hypex Class D stuff, and knowing Brian's perfectionist nature, he wouldn't have put it in there if it wasn't more than adequate.

The ported design of the LV12R will give you a bit more output compared to your sealed F12 (which should make up for its slightly lower power handling). Some folks actually prefer ported subwoofers for HT due to the additional punch and impact. However, the LV12R doesn't extend quite as low into the subsonics as the sealed F12. Then again, I wouldn't necessarily look at a 12" woofer to give me prodigious output below 20 Hz anyway.

The LV12R also gives up the PEQ feature. This may not be a big deal because most people will use an AVR or pre/pro to send an LFE signal to the subwoofer. This means the AVR or pre/pro will control things like phase and EQ anyway, so no big loss. The bass extension/damping control is implemented differently on the LV12R, and it appears the two are combined into one. The F12 gives separate control over extension and damping, while the LV12R integrates Q and extension. Low gives a 19 Hz extension and a Q of 1.1. Medium gives a 22 Hz extension with a Q of 0.9. High gives a 24 Hz extension and a Q of 0.8. So if you configured your F12 at 14 Hz / 0.5 Q (High), you can see you'll be giving up some extension and tightness with the LV12R, even at High. Of course, the LV12R's ported enclosure is a big reason why some of the tightness is lost, but you gain a bit of output. At least you have a choice with Low, Medium, and High. Many subs don't give you that choice.

I'd definitely consider the LV12R with the 30-day trial period. The price is attractive, no doubt. If you end up preferring the F12 for HT, send it back and buy another F12. You won't have to second guess yourself. At day's end, they're both Rythmik subs, so you know you're getting excellent sound quality.
    -Jacob

Thank you for the description. Would two LV12r be better than one f15 (not the HP version) or give a better balance?

Well, two subwoofers is definitely an option, but that raises the question for me: why are you considering the LV12R in the first place?

If it's for a budget constraint, buying two of them kinda negates that reason. You could buy another F12 or even F15 for less.

If it's for increased output, you could buy an FV15 for less than two LV12Rs, but actually get more output than two LV12Rs, plus retain the advanced tuning options.

However, if the purpose of buying two LV12Rs is to smooth out the bass within the room, then that is a valid reason. Using multiple subwoofers around the room (not collocated/stacked) can improve overall bass response, smooth out nulls and peaks in the room, and give a more balanced sound overall. Plus, two subs can be a bit more efficient with load balancing the LFE stuff. How much of an improvement is debatable and depends on the room dimensions, layout, channel separation (mono sub pre-out vs stereo sub pre-out), calibration, and seating location. If you have the space and funding for two subs, it's a great idea.

I guess I'm just not sure what your goal is for the HT room. I'd break it down like this:

Budget: LV12R
    Max SQ: F12 or F15
    Max Output: FV15, FV15HP
    -Jacob

reasons for buying two is-

i have a rel t1 now,ok sub, but 2 do sound more balance to me
    budget constraints currently, buying two over a year is easier for me
    space for two smaller than one really big sub

Ah, gotcha. No worries then.

Since you've experienced what multiple subwoofers can do, the LV12R should help you achieve that goal at a reasonable expense. Spacing out the purchase is also a good idea, plus you can evaluate the first sub to see if you like it. It may have a slightly different sonic characteristic compared to your F12; however, it should retain much of the famed sound quality being a Direct Servo sub. Who knows, you might end up liking the extra punch and impact for HT.
    -Jacob