Thread: CBM-170SE Full Range for 2.1 Stereo?

Default CBM-170SE Full Range for 2.1 Stereo?

Hi all, I have a question about my setup -

Marantz 2230 Receiver
    Ascend CBM-170SE Speakers
    Polk PSW10 Sub

It's not much, I know...but I think it sounds great!

Right now I have my speakers plugged into the receiver, at full-range. I managed to hook my sub up line level by putting Y-cables between the receiver's pre-out and main-in to replicate a sub-out.

Playing music that goes very low, at higher volumes, stresses the 170s. My receiver lacks bass management, but I do think the speakers would benefit from a high pass. Here are the options I've been considering:

1. I know I could run speaker level from the receiver to the sub, and then from the sub out to the speakers. I don't really trust my cheapo sub with so much responsibility, though...

2. Putting a high pass of 50Hz or so on the speakers. I could do this with some simple inline passive FMODs on the main in input. I think this would high pass my headphone output as well, which is unacceptable for my use. I hope I'm wrong about that. Alternatively, is there a way to put the high-pass on speaker level? That might work if its possible.

3. Leave it alone. Is this bad for my speakers?

4. ????

I'd really appreciate any input I can get on this. Thank you!

Default Re: CBM-170SE Full Range for 2.1 Stereo?

Well, I would connect the subwoofer from the pre amp out, using the Y connector. Set the sub's phase at zero, the low pass at 80 or higher, and don't play it too loud. If you want more bass you can try increasing the subwoofer gain.

Have fun.

Hi Blutarsky, thanks for your advice!

The problem is not that I don't have enough bass; I'm concerned for the speakers. Wouldn't it be better if they were on a high-pass?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey8270 View Post
    Hi Blutarsky, thanks for your advice!

The problem is not that I don't have enough bass; I'm concerned for the speakers. Wouldn't it be better if they were on a high-pass?
    Yes, it would be safer for the 170's if they were high passed, but in a situation like yours, high passing them could cause more problems. I generally do not recommend high-level HP filters. The woofers in the 170's are robust and can be run full range without issue. If you hear mechanical distress from the woofers, simply turn the volume down a bit

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com