Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Audyssey midrange compensation and RAAL Sierra Towers / Horizon

Default Re: Audyssey midrange compensation and RAAL Sierra Towers / Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller View Post
    In any case, thankfully, if the 2kHz notch filter does reveal itself to still be present in the Music setting, and it does create any unwanted results, I CAN upgrade to Audyssey Pro and get rid of it that way! Certainly, this thread has led me to the conclusion that I will be listening very closely for it!
    Definitely agree with your thinking regarding usefulness and limitations of Audyssey. I do think that the Pro kit is a nice tool to have in your toolbox, if not for MRC and HF roll-off shape flexibility, then at least for the individually calibrated +/-0.5dB sensitive mic vs +/-2dB for the consumer mic. A REW setup for post-calibration measurements is also a must as a reality check. But obviously, any sensible approach would start with good speakers, room treatments and correct placement, all of which should get you 90% of the way.

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to add that Chris Kyriakakis has confirmed that the Audyssey Music curve no longer includes MRC in newer AVRs (made in the last 2 years or so).

Resurrecting this thread again with the info that some newer Audyssey receivers can accommodate the Audyssey $20 app, which allows you to turn off MRC for desired speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dude View Post
    Resurrecting this thread again with the info that some newer Audyssey receivers can accommodate the Audyssey $20 app, which allows you to turn off MRC for desired speakers.
    Yes! I upgraded to the 4300 for this and it works perfectly. The ability to add a house curve with the app is nice also.

Gene over at audioholics has said that with the new Audyssey app you can not only set the target curve, but decide where to stop the eq. For example, Dr Floyd Toole thinks that any room eq above 500 Hz does more harm than good, since the frequencies begin to become directional around 500 Hz. Anthem's room eq stops at 5000 Hz, I think. If this is true with Audyssey, then it seems pretty competitive with Anthem, except for being able to switch between multiple eq's on the fly. Honestly the only reason I would want to be able to switch between multiple eq's, would be if I had multiple rows of seating in my home theater, which I don't plan on having. So Audyssey now seems more flexible at a lower cost compared to Anthem with the new app.