Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audyssey midrange compensation and RAAL Sierra Towers / Horizon

Default Re: Audyssey midrange compensation and RAAL Sierra Towers / Horizon

Would you guys advise not using the Audyssey at all on my 818 when connected to my towers and Horizon? Are there other options or starter guides as to manual room correction? Or should I just set distances, and SPL level match?

When I got my new receiver, I was really set on using Audyssey XT. I played around with the settings quite a bit and eventually got it to where I was pretty happy. I ended up using 'manual' and setting the equalizer between 'MultiEq' and 'Flat'. But then, I did some switching between off and on and decided I liked it better off. IMO it is still very handy to use the auto calibration to set levels and distances. I would simply find some well recorded music and try out the different modes.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    When I got my new receiver, I was really set on using Audyssey XT. I played around with the settings quite a bit and eventually got it to where I was pretty happy. I ended up using 'manual' and setting the equalizer between 'MultiEq' and 'Flat'. But then, I did some switching between off and on and decided I liked it better off. IMO it is still very handy to use the auto calibration to set levels and distances. I would simply find some well recorded music and try out the different modes.
    Nothing wrong with using Manual EQ, but you have to realize that Audyssey is not just a graphic equalizer. All the filters can have a time domain component. Also, you can't use Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume with Manual EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    Nothing wrong with using Manual EQ, but you have to realize that Audyssey is not just a graphic equalizer. All the filters can have a time domain component. Also, you can't use Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume with Manual EQ.
    With MultiEq off, the biggest improvement IMO was with violin music. It sounds more like a real instrument. I cycled through each setting, MultiEq, manual, flat and off. I really wanted to like it. I wonder if the additional processing results in a loss of resolution. Maybe I should try it again with different types of music/movies.

Dave,

What's your view on Anthem MRX Anthem Room Correction software? Do you believe it would do more harm than good for Sierra-1 NrT or soon to be Sierra-2s? I'm in a debate to upgrade my avr

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    Dave,

What's your view on Anthem MRX Anthem Room Correction software? Do you believe it would do more harm than good for Sierra-1 NrT or soon to be Sierra-2s? I'm in a debate to upgrade my avr
    Sorry -- I have no experience with Anthem Room Correction As I recall, comments from customers have ranged from good to bad. I do not think there is an ideal solution.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Regarding the notch filter, what characteristic does it induce? My laymen's takeaway is that it presents a "hole" in the mid range possibly? But I'm not sure I'm interpreting correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    Regarding the notch filter, what characteristic does it induce? My laymen's takeaway is that it presents a "hole" in the mid range possibly? But I'm not sure I'm interpreting correctly.
    Well, it's not a "hole", it's just a ~2dB dip around 2kHz. Have a look at the 1/3 octave smoothed predicted frequency response curves all the way at the bottom of the Audyssey Pro FAQ post.

Very interesting read. Thanks all for your input.

Interesting!

@Kisakuku , I had the (mis?)information that the 2kHz notch filter was not active in the "Flat" or "Music" setting from a conversation I had with an engineer from Onkyo. So yes, I might have been misinformed about that. The conversation I had was mostly about how the various EQ and volume compensation modes reacted when using THX Listening modes. So the whole matter of how Audyssey would automatically switch over to the "Flat/Music" setting when engaging a THX Listening mode came up, which led to the information about the "Flat/Music" mode taking out the high frequency roll off and the 2kHz notch filter that the default "Audyssey/Movie" mode would apply.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to measure! heh

That's a real shame, though, if there's no way other than Audyssey Pro to remove that 2kHz notch. But to be perfectly honest, with the speakers I've been using in my own home thus far (Energy, Revel, Axiom, tSc), I didn't spot the 2kHz notch just from listening. I DID spot the difference in the high frequency roll off, and a bit of that "house curve" mid-bass adjustment. For music, I actually quite like the THX Music mode (with re-EQ manually turned off). So I'm frequently using that, along with Audyssey. As far as I know (and there's been nothing to indicate that I've been misinformed about THIS part), using that THX Music Listening mode does, indeed, force Audyssey into the "Flat/Music" setting automatically. As I say, I did spot the difference in the high frequency roll off. That adjustment was fairly obvious. The 2kHz notch filter? I honestly can't say that I heard it.

So it'll be very interesting when I get my custom vertical Sierra Horizon Mains with RAAL! They definitely do not "need" or benefit in any way from a notch filter applied near the crossover between the tweeter and mid-range. But it will be very interesting for me to try all the various settings: no Audyssey or THX at all, Audyssey Movie mode, Audyssey Music mode, and THX Music mode with Re-EQ both on and off.

The thing is, in regards to what some other folks in this thread have asked: I truly consider Audyssey to be nothing more than a "cherry on top". I do not think of any auto-setup/EQ program as being "room correction" or "speaker correction". I firmly believe in first getting very good speakers, then setting them up and positioning them correctly. Just as important as all that, though, I consider acoustically treating the room to be a full 50% of the sound system!

So, to my mind, Audyssey (or any other auto-EQ program) really should not have much to do! haha. If the speakers are good, and the room is already good, and everything is set up and positioned properly, there ought to be very little "room correction" needed. And that's pretty much what I have found. I don't hear much of a difference between no Audyssey at all vs. Audyssey in Music mode.

But the reason I'm still a fan of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 w/ SubEQ HT is because I DO hear some differences in the bass! Getting the bass response linear, smooth, and even from seat-to-seat is such a huge challenge. And even with passive bass traps and careful placement of the subs, I've always found a little extra EQ to be very helpful!

So the question becomes (for me) does that 2kHz notch filter make enough of an audible difference (and detriment) to outweigh the benefits of what Audyssey MultEQ XT32 w/ SubEQ HT does for my bass response? Honestly, so far, with the speakers I've owned, that answer has definitely been, "no". In fact, as I say, since I was under the impression that the 2kHz notch filter was deactivated, and I wasn't hearing any obvious impact of having Audyssey turned on (in the Music setting), I really was not giving it a second thought until now!

In any case, thankfully, if the 2kHz notch filter does reveal itself to still be present in the Music setting, and it does create any unwanted results, I CAN upgrade to Audyssey Pro and get rid of it that way! Certainly, this thread has led me to the conclusion that I will be listening very closely for it!