Thread: Matching in-ceiling surrounds for CMT-340 L/C/R

Default Matching in-ceiling surrounds for CMT-340 L/C/R

Hi,

I am planning to use the 340 L/C/R and Rythmik 15 as fronts and would need recommendations for in-ceiling surrounds. My room is 13 X 30. I will project on 13ft wall so not much chose. Below is the sketch from top view.

sketch.png
    So i am not really sure if this works. if so Please advise.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Sharpalien; 07-08-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Default Re: Matching in-ceiling surrounds for CMT-340 L/C/R

Are in-ceiling speakers absolutely necessary, or would it be acceptable to use regular speakers that are simply mounted to the ceiling using a mount so that they hang down?

If in-ceiling speakers are the only acceptable choice to you, that is not ideal, but it is not the end of the world Since you only need the in-ceiling speakers for the Surround and Surround Back positions, it is not absolutely vital that they perfectly match your Front 3 speakers. You want them to sound as similar as possible, of course. But most of the sounds in the Surround channels are just ambient, or obvious sound effects. So it is possible to "get away" with them being a little bit different sounding than your Front 3.

From my experience, Emotiva's in-ceiling speakers are affordable, and pretty good. They're quite neutral, and the tweeter is reasonably accurate, so they provide a half-decent sonic match to the Ascend SE speakers, which are very neutral, accurate and transparent speakers.

I also like that you can adjust the output of the tweeter on the Emotiva in-ceiling speakers. So if it sounds a little too bright, you can quiet down the tweeter a couple dB, and if you're not hearing enough high frequencies, you can turn the tweeter up a couple dB. You can also "aim" the tweeter a little bit -- the way it is mounted in the speaker, it can pivot and move a bit. So, for surround speakers, that can help you to control where they cast their sound.

Since you have quite a large room space to fill, I would recommend the larger 8" version: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...products/uac82

Just please note that it is a 4 ohm rated speaker. So make sure your AV Receiver or amplifier can easily handle a 4 ohm load.

There is also the 6" version: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...products/uac62

If the 8" version is too big, or if you need a 6 ohm speaker, instead

Those will work. But if it is possible to just use ceiling mounts and have the Surround and Surround Back speakers hanging down, that would be better. You could use the Ascend HTM-200SE speakers and get a better sonic match.

Hope that helps!

Default Re: Matching in-ceiling surrounds for CMT-340 L/C/R

Thank you very much for your insight and suggestions, my concerns is mounting HTM-200SE as surrounds throw off the look and they will be hanging as i have 8 ft ceiling?

Also does it make sense to go all the way back 30 ft for Rear Surround?

I quickly looked at the emotive looks good but any experience using them? also would they be able to provide good surround for movies?

Thx