Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: You Guys Wanna Hear About Some Custom Speakers?

Default Re: You Guys Wanna Hear About Some Custom Speakers?

Thanks, map!

It DOES sound great Honestly, quite a bit better than I had expected (because of the tiny room size, not because of the gear), and better than I had ever hoped for! I wrote some more thoughts about the sound of my final setup in the "Owners Photo Gallery" thread, so I'll link that here rather than repeat myself

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5956#post45956

I'm not sure how much speaker cable I wound up using -- haha. But it actually wasn't all that much. Pretty short runs for most of it, so it wasn't that bad.

The ceiling panels are Auralex MetroFusors. I stuck them up there with Blu-Tack I imagine they won't stay stuck 100% forever, but it's easy enough to reach up and give them a little wiggle and push every once in a while. They're very light-weight, so if one ever does fall down, it won't be any big deal. And easy enough to stick it back up there. No problems at all so far, though.

I must say, the ceiling diffusion really took care of some lingering slap echo in that room! It was pretty dramatic. Just doing the "clap test" and listening for the "zing" in the slap echo; no ceiling treatments? Pretty clear "zing". Diffusion panels installed? Dead clap with no reverb. Seemed well worth it

JTeller,

Question for you....do you live in the room and have someone slide food in under the only door seen in the pics that is clearly blocked by speakers and stands? I don't see a way in or out (not that that's a bad thing).

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such concentrated goodness. Amazing work Jonathan (and Dave)!
    Mark

Haha. Good eye, Sheep

It actually is a bit of a production getting in and out of the room, yes. lol

First, the gap between the side of the futon and either subwoofer is pretty tight. Not a big problem, though. To open one half of the French doors, though, I do need to move one of the Surround Back speakers into the corner and slide the GiK Monster bass trap clear of the door I have the exact positions marked, so I can put them perfectly back in place once I'm "sealed" inside.

Once I'm all nestled in, though? The world really does seem to disappear for 2 hours (or however long I'm in there). It's truly immersive. Beats a movie theatre in every way imaginable.

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    Sweet!
    muzz!

It's great to see you're still kicking. It's been a long time...

Oh and Jonathan, uh, Rob, I check in on your thread about once or twice a week. Your setup never gets old to see. I think you win the "best damn theater" award by a long shot...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to change out my drool bib...again!
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    muzz!

It's great to see you're still kicking. It's been a long time...

Oh and Jonathan, uh, Rob, I check in on your thread about once or twice a week. Your setup never gets old to see. I think you win the "best damn theater" award by a long shot...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to change out my drool bib...again!
    Yes it has Jacob, been very busy with the new house and all, and I just can't take too much of this good stuff that I can't afford ( or actually USE) right now.
    I see Dave has been very busy, and folks are getting better and better gear all the time.

Great to see so many folks thrilled with their gear, I still have my LCR Sierras/170SE's, but I haven't listened to them in almost a year.....gotta build the theater 1st!

Hope all is well!

Take Care,

Gary

Thanks, guys!

I definitely don't have the "best damn theater" yet. Room's way too small, display could definitely be improved upon in picture quality, and the wall colour is all wrong

Thankfully, in regards to the wall colour, when I'm seated, the TV takes up so much of my field of view that the red wall colour really isn't visible. It would be on the sides, but I have my black absorption panels there So there's effectively very little colour bias degrading my perception of the image, thank goodness.

I'm happy that I bought the Sharp LC-70LE735U. At that 70" size, there aren't a ton of options. And I'll definitely take the far more uniform full-array backlight over the edge-lit models that are pretty much the only game in town these days. I am also super thankful for the semi-matte screen! A glossy screen really would be just like a mirror in my setup. Sitting as close to the display as I do, my own reflection is staring right back at me, and at least the LC-70LE735U's semi-matte finish makes it a dull and blurry reflection, rather than a mirror!

But the black levels are pretty grey. I wouldn't turn the lights fully off with this display. Black bars on 2.35:1 aspect movies most certainly do not blend into the black bezel around the screen like they should. My lamps are a bit on the bright side, so I think I'll be adding a bias light at some point to hit a nice middle ground

3D is pretty good, but there's definitely significant crosstalk. Can't avoid that completely with any active shutter glasses display, but I've seen better. Seen worse, too, though

Anywho, there are improvements to be made! But not to my audio gear On that front, yes, I'd say I've got about the "best damn theater". Just wait until I upgrade all my Sierra-1 NrT speakers to Sierra-2s! haha

I honestly still can't get over my deep bass, though. I mean, I can reach out an arm to either side and touch a subwoofer! How is it possible for them to not be localizable, completely draw attention to one side or the other, nor sound disjointed from even a single speaker in my 11 speaker setup? I mean, the sub is right there! haha. Honestly, it still seems like witchcraft

Speaking of perfect theater, I saw Hunger Games on a 4k dlp with Dolby Atmos and it was very nice. I don't know if the film was shot digitally or not, but the audio was great. There were moments the spacial effects made me want to look up over my shoulder for insects.

Awesome! Congrats on a great setup. It must have been a lot of work to say the least.