Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: You Guys Wanna Hear About Some Custom Speakers?

Default Re: You Guys Wanna Hear About Some Custom Speakers?

Ay-yi-yi

Well, obviously I'm late with posting my theatre pics. And here's why!

Theatre Ceiling Damage 01.jpg

Theatre Ceiling Damage 02.jpg

Theatre Ceiling Damage 03.jpg

Quite literally, one week ago, I had just completed my theatre install and setup. Finally, had the speakers and everything else positioned, set up, and I was starting to run Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I was getting ready to snap my photos when I noticed that damage on my ceiling above my Right Surround speaker.

Yup. Water damage

I live in a high rise, so I'm responsible for everything inside my apartment, but anything to do with the building itself is the responsibility of my strata. Unexposed leaky pipes are, somewhat thankfully, considered part of the structure, so my strata will pay for all the repairs to the pipes and my ceiling. But I say "somewhat", because that also means it takes longer than if I were to just call a plumber and do the drywall repairs myself.

So, alas, all of this meant I had to pull everything out of my theatre! That was fun, since I have a heavy amp, heavy AV Receiver, all my precious Ascend speakers, oh...and a 70" TV that I had to finagle off of its stand mount!

Yeah...so...that was last week. Pipes get fixed today. Drywall will be in the middle of the week. But then it needs to get mudded, primed, and the paint has to get matched. So I'm pretty much guessing that all of this week and next week are a bust

I'm so bummed out right now -- haha. Like, literally as I finally had my theatre all set up, this freaking water damage has to raise its ugly head.

The good news is that there was no equipment damage -- the water never actually leaked through. And I guess it's much better to have caught it now. But it's still a major bummer!

In happy news, though, Dave really like the gift that I got him! I gave him a custom made HTPC movie server with 10 Blu-ray demo discs loaded onto it. I'm putting up another thread explaining what I got him, and also because I'm sure he will need more input from as many forum members as possible as he familiarizes himself with Windows Media Center and all of its many capabilities! So head on over to DaveF's HTPC thread and lend him some advice if he ever needs it I really only use my own HTPCs as a movie server and for music, so I'm far from an expert when it comes to everything HTPC. But Dave seems genuinely excited and happy to have it, and we've already emailed back and forth a few times regarding different formats and adding more capabilities to the HTPC!

So, good news there. Bad news for my theatre. But it will all get sorted in time

I enjoyed this thread and was hoping to see the end results...is everything patched up and back together?

I will have photos by the end of this week, I SWEAR!

haha

The final coat of paint was put on on Thursday. I work long hours over the weekend, so I've no time right this moment. A friend is coming over on Tuesday to help me do all the heavy lifting (70" TV onto its stand, big SVS subs to move in, all the speakers, of course, and my Onkyo TX-NR5010 and ATI AT1805 amp). I have to record the next AVRant episode (I'm Rob H., by the way, in case people didn't see me say that in my DaveF's HTPC thread. Sorry for the screen name confusion I used this "Jonathan Teller" screen name many years ago!) on Tuesday, as well, though, so I won't have time to finish all the fine tuning.

I'm free all day on Wednesday, though. So that should be when I finally get done!

Hold your breath. It won't be too long now

^^^

OK. So...

I will post more photos in the days to come, but there's the glory shot.

As you can see, it's rather ridiculous.

My God, it's full of stars....

Ah ha ha!

hornfan785, you have no idea how apropos your reply was:

https://twitter.com/firstreflect/sta...85087208251392

Haha....I'm a bit speechless...I'm not even sure if it's for real...

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller View Post
    ^^^

OK. So...

I will post more photos in the days to come, but there's the glory shot.

As you can see, it's rather ridiculous.
    Awesome Rob! only thing I see that's ridiculous are those two chairs. Minimum requirements there are at least a recliner or two .

Jay

Holy woofers and tweeters, Batman! Fiddlesticks and kettle drums, what on earth is this barrel of monkeys?

That is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. Sheesh, and I thought my 7.1 setup was cramped. Considering your space constraints, you did a great job with layout and positioning. I count, uh, seven speakers plus two cylindrical (SVS?) subs. Obviously I can't seen the side and back surrounds from this angle.

I like what you did with the Auralux Grammas and MoPads. They're great for getting the right angle and height, aren't they? Plus they help a bit with decoupling depending on the frequency. The overall room treatments shown should do a good job with controlling low frequencies. So yeah, I expected outlandish, but this is just another level entirely.

I've got only one more thing to say: I want a demo!!
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 10-27-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
    -Jacob