Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

Default Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

I'm looking for some receiver recommendations for the Sierra-2 speakers. I've gotten stuck in the "never ending research loop" before and thought it might be easier to take a look at a few of the top recommendations. Hopefully this thread will help others as well. Thanks!

*my particular viewing is going to be movies and only 2.0 for now, but eventually 5.0 or 5.1 depending upon the bass on these. I was very impressed with the Sierra-1s. You could actually hear what the guttural alien dudes in The Fifth Element were saying! I never knew they were saying actual words!

Default Re: Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

What price range?

What's your room size? (Length x Width x Height)

How far away are you sitting?

Any desire to add separate amps later?

Any preferences for a certain room correction/auto EQ setup program?

Good questions. I was looking for general recommendations as I may be moving shortly. I wasn't sure that the receiver had much to do with room size, but here you go:

"What price range?"
    Less than $1k. I do want something that will do the Sierra justice and have longevity.

"What's your room size? (Length x Width x Height)"
    Something like 15x13x10

"How far away are you sitting?"
    11'

"Any desire to add separate amps later?"
    I do not. I went that route with my fancy headphones and for my purposes, I don't think it's worth the cost.

"Any preferences for a certain room correction/auto EQ setup program?"
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterJ View Post
    Good questions. I was looking for general recommendations as I may be moving shortly. I wasn't sure that the receiver had much to do with room size, but here you go:

"What price range?"
    Less than $1k. I do want something that will do the Sierra justice and have longevity.

"What's your room size? (Length x Width x Height)"
    Something like 15x13x10

"How far away are you sitting?"
    11'

"Any desire to add separate amps later?"
    I do not. I went that route with my fancy headphones and for my purposes, I don't think it's worth the cost.

"Any preferences for a certain room correction/auto EQ setup program?"
    No.
    I always have the same recommendation. Denon X4000 for Audyssey XT32 and sub-$1K street price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    I always have the same recommendation. Denon X4000 for Audyssey XT32 and sub-$1K street price.
    Thank you, I will take a look. Other recommendations are still welcome. Is Onkyo still decent?

I think I had a Denon driving my brother's Sierra-1s. He didn't appreciate either and sold them when he moved (I would've bought them if he had offered a reasonable price). I was quite impressed, however.

Any thoughts on the heat output of the Denon X4000?

Quick additional question: Why the X4000 over the X3000 or X2000?
    Last edited by GrandMasterJ; 03-22-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Addition

I've heard that Emotiva's new, surprise receiver the Fusion 8100 will start shipping in about 2 weeks. Price is $700 and shipping is free in the US. Reviews for the slim beast should come in pretty fast when that happens. My guess is that it will outclass the Denon in sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I've heard that Emotiva's new, surprise receiver the Fusion 8100 will start shipping in about 2 weeks. Price is $700 and shipping is free in the US. Reviews for the slim beast should come in pretty fast when that happens. My guess is that it will outclass the Denon in sound quality.
    I'll take a look, thanks. How is Emotiva's quality track record?

I can certainly second the recommendation for the Denon X4000.

One reason for suggesting that model over the X3000 or lower models is because it includes the highest consumer level of Audyssey, which is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + Sub EQ HT. Not everyone is a fan of auto EQ/"room correction", but XT32 + Sub EQ HT, in my experience, has been a very impressive system.

The X4000 can also drive a maximum of 9 speakers. It can only power 7 itself, but you can add an additional 2-channel amp and make use of a 9 speaker setup if you ever want to. Personally, I've grown very fond of DTS Neo:X and the Front Wide channels. I haven't found any of the Front Height programs particularly compelling, but that's strictly one man's opinion But with the X4000, you'd have the option of having a standard 7 speaker setup plus the Front Wide channels to make 9 speakers in total, and you could then use the DTS Neo:X or Audyssey DSX listening modes. You can also configure those 9 channels however you'd like: standard 5 speakers plus Front Wides and Front Heights, standard 7 speakers plus Front Heights, or standard 7 speakers plus Front Wides, like I mentioned.

If you buy a refurbished unit from accessories4less.com : http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html , then you're well within your budget.

In case you're not familiar, A4L is a fully authorized refurbished retailer for quite a few brands. And they get their stock directly from the manufacturers. There's no shady dealings going on - no buying excess stock from stores. As such, you get a full manufacturer's 1 year warranty on all products sold at accessories4less. No 90 day warranty BS. And you've got the full backing of the manufacturers since it is their stock and their professional refurbishments. You'll also often find that the products sold at A4L are actually completely brand new - not even refurbished or ever opened - and the manufacturer is simply clearing out stock. So A4L is a great place from which to buy

Since you mentioned Onkyo - I've been an Onkyo fan for many years, but I'm becoming less and less of a fan every year as they continue to drop the features that interest me the most in favour of more and more wireless features that don't particularly interest me.

That said, if you go back a couple of years to models from 2 or 3 years ago, there are some really nice offerings:

The TX-NR818 is still feature-packed in all the ways that *I would want, and it's very affordable these days: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Much like the Denon X4000, you can add a 2-channel amp and run 9 speakers. The 818 remains one of the least expensive AV Receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 onboard, although it does NOT have SubEQ HT. SubEQ HT gives you independent automatic setup and EQ of 2 subwoofer, in case you're wondering what it's all about. On the 818, the subwoofer channels are just set up in mono as usual.

The TX-NR1010: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html bumps you up to THX Ultra2 Certification and dual independent HDMI outputs if you want to feed two displays two different sources simultaneously. I used to dig a couple of the THX Listening Modes, and Onkyo/Integra are about the only consumer brand still bothering to pay THX for their certification (although they appear to be dropping that, too, in 2014). But I've pretty much transitioned over to DTS Neo:X for everything these days. That's just me, though

I use an Onkyo TX-NR5010 myself. If you want to run 11 speakers like I do, you'll need to go over your $1000 budget. Top choices there would be the Denon AVR-4510CI and the Onkyo TX-NR3010. They're both around $1400 these days, which is a darn good price, but certainly over your budget.

Overall, though, I'd say the X4000 from Denon is the easiest recommendation. Unless you REALLY want THX certification for those THX Listening Modes, the X4000 has every other feature that I would personally want or recommend to anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
    If you buy a refurbished unit from accessories4less.com : http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html , then you're well within your budget.

In case you're not familiar, A4L is a fully authorized refurbished retailer for quite a few brands. And they get their stock directly from the manufacturers. There's no shady dealings going on - no buying excess stock from stores. As such, you get a full manufacturer's 1 year warranty on all products sold at accessories4less. No 90 day warranty BS. And you've got the full backing of the manufacturers since it is their stock and their professional refurbishments. You'll also often find that the products sold at A4L are actually completely brand new - not even refurbished or ever opened - and the manufacturer is simply clearing out stock. So A4L is a great place from which to buy
    In my experience, AVS prices on new receivers are very competitive with A4L refurb prices. No need to give up that 3 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    My guess is that when the two are operating within their normal parameters, the only difference will be their RC algorithms.