Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receiver/Amp recommendation for Sierra 1s

Default Re: Receiver/Amp recommendation for Sierra 1s

Sure, now you have headroom. But from a purist standpoint, I don't see the need for processing for a true 2 channel rig with the exception of active DSP crossovers.
    What example of HT gear where you referring too?
    Last edited by zfreiman; 06-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zfreiman View Post
    Sure, now you have headroom. But from a purist standpoint, I don't see the need for processing for a true 2 channel rig with the exception of active DSP crossovers.
    Not sure why a two-channel setup is different from a multi-channel setup and doesn't warrant room correction and easier subwoofer integration.

I was referring to 4xxxCI Denon AVRs.

Yeah, we have different opinions, but this makes for good conversation! For me, speaker placement, room treatments, cable selection, all help you tweak the sound. It's about creating harmony not about having infinite control. For example my system has zero tone controls and no subwoofer. At this point good recordings sound good, bad recording sound bad. I don't waste my time trying make poor recordings sound good, but instead search for ones that have been produced with good sound in mind.
    Years ago I had a Denon AVR 3806 and a Music Hall 25.2 amp , to my ears the little Music Hall out muscled the Denon. Moral of this story not all watts are created equal.
    Now, I'm not saying a AVR 4311 is inferior, but was designed to multitask...

I'm not sure trying to make bad recordings sound better is the way I would put it. I think of it as making good recordings sound even better.

What many people don't realize though, is that many quality 2-channel recordings are created in the studio with the use of a subwoofer(s). Also, DSP is used in addition to room treatments in these rooms to address issues.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-18-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    -curtis

Just curious, do you have an analog setup?

Just curious, do you have an analog setup?
    No, I do not.

In fact, I became all digital connections in late 2011.
    -curtis

Why not just get one of the Yamaha integrated amps, like the A-S300 or A-S500. You might even want to try their stereo receiver the R-S700.

If you use active DSP with an otherwise analog system, there would need to be at least two digital/analog conversions, or three if you send an analog signal from a disc player to the preamp/receiver. Just sayin' pure analog and DSP can't, by definition, co-exist in the same signal chain.

I'm surprised that someone with a "purist" point of view wouldn't be horrified at the thought of a digital/analog conversion, much less several.

Personally, I've both seen, and witnessed enough examples to support the evidence that well designed modern solid state equipment played within it's limits is indistinguishable from a sound quality perspective. It is indeed quite a slippery slope to suggest audible differences in the quality gear you have mentioned, let alone speaker cables, and interconnects.

One of the very cool aspects of Ascend, and it's owner, are the design philosophies that shy away from the audio voodoo, and mysticism, and instead concentrate on offering real, measurable, quality gear that performs as advertised, and as measured.

Jay