Thread: tp24 arriving today

Default tp24 arriving today

My TP24 stands should be showing up today and I have a few questions.

How many lbs of sand does it take to fill these and is there any special consideration I should keep in mind when I drop by the hardware store on my way home? It looks like they have 60lb tubes for less than $10.

Are the carpet spikes optional? I have hardwood floors...maybe a carpet square would help here? I read the spikes are 2" long.

Default Re: tp24 arriving today

Also, would it be a good idea to line the stand with a plastic garbage bag or something and pour the sand into the bag? Or maybe a bunch of x-large ziplocs...

60 lbs of sand is a fairly dense amount to pack, but it will fit assuming only sand. As far as including bags? I'm hesitant to agree just due to having pockets of air in between each bag, can't say if including them will have any audible side effects or not considering how much sand there would be.

Edit: the carpet spikes are optional, I 'believe' each spike also comes with a rubber 'foot' you can place underneath them if they're used on a hard surface.
    Last edited by choirbass; 03-26-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Ended up using most of a 60 lb sack of quicrete tube sand in each stand. The quicrete tube sand isn't play box sand, but it was inside and very dry so it should be alright. There is only a small hole for filling so no option to use a liner. Filled outside with a large funnel to avoid dust ....and then busted my spleen moving it inside<grin>.

The spikes came with little discs for laminate or hardwood floors and worked very well.

All together and set up...very nice!

Absolutely must use kiln dried sand else the moisture from the sand will damage the MDF. I personally like to use inexpensive clumping cat litter as it fully absorbs any moisture.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com