Thread: My Sierra towers and Horizon Center both NRT

Default My Sierra towers and Horizon Center both NRT

I normally don't post on these forums, but felt compelled to after receiving my new speakers. I decided on the Sierra Towers and Horizon based on my experience with the CMT 340se's and CBM 170's. That was my previous set up. I now have moved my 340's to the rear and have an extra 340 center that I can't seem to find a use for.

Knowing what less expensive Ascend speakers sound like, my expectation of the Sierras was pretty high to say the least. Well as soon as I hooked them up, and calibrated my system I threw on some ACDC back in black. Right off the bat my jaw hit the floor. I was in total awe and disbelief at how good they sounded. My room definitely is not that great, and I have zero treatments, but none of that seems to matter. So far I have listened to a plethora of other rock music and watched some movies too. It has all been just great!

I never really understood what people meant about a speaker conveying emotion until I listened to these babies. They just ooze emotion, the kind that makes you want to take your lighter out and hold the flame up in the air.

For me it was like going from a 13" crt standard def set to a full high def 70" plasma. I knew they were going to sound good but my goodness man these things are incredible. My wife and two daughters who seem to just tolerate my audio passion(obsession) were also wowed by them. They went on and on about the details that the sierras pull out. I have to say that I really wanted the RAAL tweets but absolutely could not stretch my budget any further, but after hearing the NRT's I am left wanting for nothing. They sound exceptionally great with classic rock n roll which is my favorite genre of music.

Now I totally agree with others that these speakers don't sound good with poor quality recordings(i.e. mp3's). But feed them a good quality CD or FLAC file and you will be amply rewarded.

The center channel is an absolute monster. I knew the dimensions before I received it, but before you see it, it is hard to understand just how massive it is (which I like). I now know why everyone has been gushing over the horizon It is an incredible center. It makes the whole front sound stage HUGE, and it sound very dynamic, and life like.

I went to some stores and listened to some other speakers, and honestly to get better than the Sierras at a B&M you need to spend 5 or 6 thousand(on just a pair). That is how I honestly feel. I feel like I got an incredible bargain at 3 thousand for all three!

Well that's about it for my subjective view of these GREAT speakers.
    Jason

Default Re: My Sierra towers and Horizon Center both NRT

Quote Originally Posted by jasondhenry View Post
    I normally don't post on these forums, but felt compelled to after receiving my new speakers. I decided on the Sierra Towers and Horizon based on my experience with the CMT 340se's and CBM 170's. That was my previous set up. I now have moved my 340's to the rear and have an extra 340 center that I can't seem to find a use for.

Knowing what less expensive Ascend speakers sound like, my expectation of the Sierras was pretty high to say the least. Well as soon as I hooked them up, and calibrated my system I threw on some ACDC back in black. Right off the bat my jaw hit the floor. I was in total awe and disbelief at how good they sounded. My room definitely is not that great, and I have zero treatments, but none of that seems to matter. So far I have listened to a plethora of other rock music and watched some movies too. It has all been just great!

I never really understood what people meant about a speaker conveying emotion until I listened to these babies. They just ooze emotion, the kind that makes you want to take your lighter out and hold the flame up in the air.

For me it was like going from a 13" crt standard def set to a full high def 70" plasma. I knew they were going to sound good but my goodness man these things are incredible. My wife and two daughters who seem to just tolerate my audio passion(obsession) were also wowed by them. They went on and on about the details that the sierras pull out. I have to say that I really wanted the RAAL tweets but absolutely could not stretch my budget any further, but after hearing the NRT's I am left wanting for nothing. They sound exceptionally great with classic rock n roll which is my favorite genre of music.

Now I totally agree with others that these speakers don't sound good with poor quality recordings(i.e. mp3's). But feed them a good quality CD or FLAC file and you will be amply rewarded.

The center channel is an absolute monster. I knew the dimensions before I received it, but before you see it, it is hard to understand just how massive it is (which I like). I now know why everyone has been gushing over the horizon It is an incredible center. It makes the whole front sound stage HUGE, and it sound very dynamic, and life like.

I went to some stores and listened to some other speakers, and honestly to get better than the Sierras at a B&M you need to spend 5 or 6 thousand(on just a pair). That is how I honestly feel. I feel like I got an incredible bargain at 3 thousand for all three!

Well that's about it for my subjective view of these GREAT speakers.
    Jason
    Hi Jason,

Happy to hear that it all worked out and thanks for sharing your impressions with our community
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: My Sierra towers and Horizon Center both NRT

A quick update. I have now been living with my new speakers for a little over a month and half now, and they seemed to have opened up and sound even better now then they did at first. I have never really thought that speaker break in made much of an audible difference, but now I feel differently. The bass especially sounds more pronounced and seems to have more impact. I've been listening to a lot of music (flac format) and most everything sounds for lack of a better description, more three dimensional.

I have seen where people describe the nrt tweeters as being forward, and I would agree. This forward essence is one of the qualities that I love about them. For anyone who was like me and wanted the raal towers and could not afford the upgrade I would say get the standard tower I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. To me they are truly phenomenal.
    Bluray - Oppo BDP-93
    Speakers
    Front - Sierra Towers NRT
    Center - Horizon Center NRT
    Surrounds - CMT-340se Back Surrounds - CBM-170se
    Receiver - Pioneer Elite vsx-23txh
    Amp - Emotiva XPA-5
    Sub - HSU VTF-15h