Thread: Ascend-ance Impending... Coupla Questions

Hi Michael,

What will you be using for a subwoofer? That is usually a dedicated channel in SACDs and DVD-As. Without it, you will be missing something.

If the bass management is good on your DVD-A player, then using it would be better than the bass management on the HK. You can do that by just selecting "7 channel direct" on the HK. Otherwise bypass the bass management on the player and use the HK via the "7 channel" setting. I'm not sure what happens without a sub, but I think you need to run the sub channel to the HK.

EZ-Set will set speaker levels, but not EQ the speakers, so if the speakers do not timbre match, it will not help. Also, in my experience, manually setting speaker levels with an SPL meter and a test disc is more accurate and not difficult.

As for break-in....nothing special needs to be done. Just enjoy them and they will break in on their own.

-curtis

I will not be using a sub at all, least not an active one (my surrounds are a sat/passive sub setup that I suppose I could send the deep bass to, but the sub has never really produced all that much bass). I was hoping to be able to send the sub channel into the H/K, then redirect all low frequencies to the 340s (which I understand can handle pretty deep bass, though still benefit greatly from the adddition of a sub). Is this not possible?

A sub is certainly in my future, just can't swing it right now, nor do I want the walls rattling while my babies are trying to sleep ;-)

Michael,

I am not exactly sure what happens to the LFE channel when the speakers are set to large and there is no sub.

As for rattling the walls, there really are not that many movies that do that, and even then, the volume needs to be turned up. If you are listening at a volume not to disturb the kids, the sub will not disturb them either.

-curtis

Thanks for the input, Curtis. I guess I was kind of exaggerating about the walls rattling -- it's just that low frequencies tend to travel through floors and walls easier and the nursery is (unfortunately) right above my living room, so my theory is that the truly deep bass that a sub produces would reverberate more in the room above than mid-bass, etc. Basically, I need a justification to keep myself from spending any more money at the moment ;-)