Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review of my Sierra Towers with RAAL

Default Re: Review of my Sierra Towers with RAAL

beautiful pictures iam still waiting on mine mattcpt what subs are you running.thanks for sharing the pictures.

I have dual Rythmik F12 subs. I'm really enjoying the sound, but I feel that I haven't integrated the subs as well as I could. I will either buy a software program with microphone, or a pre-pro/AVR with room correction. I'm also looking to upgrade my 10 year old DVD/SACD player. I will probably start another thread to get opinions about using the DAC of the source (Oppo 105 or CA 752BD) or using an Oppo 103 with an AVR/Pre-pro that has a good DAC and room correction. Currently I use a Marantz SR8200 with no HDMI or room correction and I find that source direct is always best for 2 channel listening. I'm sure that I will get different opinions, but I will ask anyway to see what people with equipment that I'm considering purchasing find from their own experience.

i dont know about the other equipment you want but you cant go wrong with a marantz receiver we have the sr 6003 and love it.

I have the Denon 4311 which is .2 capable and so it provides processing/correction to both subs. Integrates really well with my Sierra set up.

Quote Originally Posted by swallan View Post
    i dont know about the other equipment you want but you cant go wrong with a marantz receiver we have the sr 6003 and love it.
    One can definitely go wrong with a newer Marantz as they are basically rebadged overpriced Denon models. I second the Denon 4311CI suggestion; I'm very happy with how mine powers RAAL Sierra Tower L/C/R.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    I second the Denon 4311CI suggestion; I'm very happy with how mine powers RAAL Sierra Tower L/C/R.
    I'm very happy with the 4311 + RAAL L/C/R as well.

the marantz sr 6003 i think was the last truely marantz before they joined up with denon.i concur that the denon 4311 would be a very good reciever.

Quote Originally Posted by mattcpt View Post
    I have dual Rythmik F12 subs. I'm really enjoying the sound, but I feel that I haven't integrated the subs as well as I could. ... Currently I use a Marantz SR8200 with no HDMI or room correction
    I think you'll be amazed at the difference you'll get using an AVR with room correction. Be sure to get an AVR or pre-pro with the higher end Audyssey (Multi-EQ) that corrects LFE. Muti-EQ works great, but I had to modify the results for the best sound. It set crossover @40hz, where I found 80hz worked better.

I appreciate all of your input. I realize that I’m at risk of taking my own thread off topic, so I will start another thread requesting help with my next upgrade decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mattcpt View Post
    I thought I would give my impressions of the Sierra towers with RAAL, now that I’ve had them for a few months and at least a couple hundred hours of listening. I had ordered the towers with the custom (low profile) horizon center and two Rythmik F12 subwoofers. I received the subwoofers within the first month of ordering. The towers came in 2 months after ordering and the custom low profile horizon center speaker was about 3 months after ordering.

I immediately performed a comparison between my Def Tech BP30s and the Sierra Towers once they arrived. I did so with the knowledge that the sound will change (and it did) as I had recalled that my Def Tech speakers changed a lot after the first 100 hours of use. From the beginning the Sierra’s sounded much smoother on the top end and more coherent in the midrange. The bass was notably less than the Def Techs, but that was expected right out of the box.

Now that the Sierra’s are “broken-in” the bass is more prominent without being “muddy” like the Def Techs. As I had stated in a previous post, my listening area is a typical Florida room with a living room that opens up to a kitchen and dinning room. It is more then 600 sq ft in all and the ceiling are 10 ft high, so the room is prone to reflection/echo problems. With my Def Techs being a bipolar design with metal dome tweeters, I had a very poor synergy between the room acoustics and the speakers’ inherent “brightness”. As I mentioned before, I tried speakers from Focal and Revel in my home and both of them had a bright/sharp/piercing quality to their tweeters that reminded me of my Def Techs. I had begun to worry that my room may be causing a lot of my problems, and no speaker was going to please me in my current environment (at least not without lots of room treatments). Listening to the Sierra Towers in Sugarcanes home made me very hopeful as he too had a typical Florida room.
    I’m very happy to say that the Sierra Towers with RAAL have plenty of treble detail without any of the sharp/piercing quality that many of the metal and even silk tweeters seemed to have. I’m able to turn the volume up considerably higher without ever experiencing the harshness that I had become accustomed to with my previous speakers. In fact, I find the sound to be much more involving and enjoyable as it becomes louder. The sound is every bit as good as I remembered when auditioning them. The treble, even in my room, is still excellent. Detailed, yet smooth without the sibilance/ringing that I’ve heard in so many other speakers. The midrange is very clear with excellent vocals and good separation between instruments. The bass is fast and accurate without any of the “muddiness” that my Def Techs have. The Sierra’s are capable of playing quite deep and don’t require a subwoofer for much of what I listen to, but I do keep the subs playing all the time because they add a nice weight to the music (when appropriate) and movies are definitely more fun with the dual subs.

Just yesterday, I reconnected the Def Techs to do one last side by side comparison, and the improvement in sound of the Sierra’s was very obvious. In fact, I was listening to the Def Techs at moderate/loud volume when my wife came home and asked which speaker I was playing. I told her that I was listening to my old speakers and she stated “Oh, good. I was hoping it wasn’t the new ones because it didn’t sound good at all. I didn’t realize how much better the new ones are until now”. I must say that this made my day, because my wife doesn’t complement my electronics purchases unless she can see or hear a clear improvement.

As I’m sure you can tell, I’m very happy with my decision to buy the Sierra Towers. I’m exceptionally happy about the fact that I can listen to music and be completely involved in what I’m hearing without having to buy room treatments that my wife would have been opposed to. After years of searching for speakers, I was beginning to think that I wasn’t going to find a solution to my needs that would completely satisfy my musical desires.

Would I change anything if I were to do it again? Yes. I would have bought the Sierra’s in espresso, or in a custom color. I find the black bamboo to be nice, but not as attractive as Sugarcane’s espresso. There is something about the contrast of the woofers and RAAL tweeter when installed in a lighter colored box than black. Of course, I knew that black wasn’t what I “really” wanted; it was the color that my wife was accepting of. Although now that we’ve had the Sierra’s for a few months, she thinks that she would have preferred to go with the espresso or a custom espresso (to match our dark espresso furniture). If only she had told me earlier!

I’m now looking to upgrade my receiver and disc player (Oppo 103/105 or Cambridge 752BD). I was never able to listen to my Def Techs at a volume that was too high for my receiver to handle because the brightness of the tweeters always became annoying before I could push my Marantz receiver too hard. I have noticed that because the Sierra’s are so much smoother and cleaner sounding, that I can bring the volume up considerably more to the point that the receiver begins to strain. When playing multichannel classical SACDs I’ve noticed that the lights on my Marantz dim significantly with loud passages and the fan blows so loud after just one song that it is disruptive during quiet passages. The search for audio perfection continues, but at least now I’ve got the most important part of the chain figured out (speakers) and I can upgrade the rest in time.
    Matt, Thanks for sharing your impression of the Sierra Towers and for all of your support
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com