Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of my Sierra Towers with RAAL

Default Review of my Sierra Towers with RAAL

I thought I would give my impressions of the Sierra towers with RAAL, now that I’ve had them for a few months and at least a couple hundred hours of listening. I had ordered the towers with the custom (low profile) horizon center and two Rythmik F12 subwoofers. I received the subwoofers within the first month of ordering. The towers came in 2 months after ordering and the custom low profile horizon center speaker was about 3 months after ordering.

I immediately performed a comparison between my Def Tech BP30s and the Sierra Towers once they arrived. I did so with the knowledge that the sound will change (and it did) as I had recalled that my Def Tech speakers changed a lot after the first 100 hours of use. From the beginning the Sierra’s sounded much smoother on the top end and more coherent in the midrange. The bass was notably less than the Def Techs, but that was expected right out of the box.

Now that the Sierra’s are “broken-in” the bass is more prominent without being “muddy” like the Def Techs. As I had stated in a previous post, my listening area is a typical Florida room with a living room that opens up to a kitchen and dinning room. It is more then 600 sq ft in all and the ceiling are 10 ft high, so the room is prone to reflection/echo problems. With my Def Techs being a bipolar design with metal dome tweeters, I had a very poor synergy between the room acoustics and the speakers’ inherent “brightness”. As I mentioned before, I tried speakers from Focal and Revel in my home and both of them had a bright/sharp/piercing quality to their tweeters that reminded me of my Def Techs. I had begun to worry that my room may be causing a lot of my problems, and no speaker was going to please me in my current environment (at least not without lots of room treatments). Listening to the Sierra Towers in Sugarcanes home made me very hopeful as he too had a typical Florida room.
    I’m very happy to say that the Sierra Towers with RAAL have plenty of treble detail without any of the sharp/piercing quality that many of the metal and even silk tweeters seemed to have. I’m able to turn the volume up considerably higher without ever experiencing the harshness that I had become accustomed to with my previous speakers. In fact, I find the sound to be much more involving and enjoyable as it becomes louder. The sound is every bit as good as I remembered when auditioning them. The treble, even in my room, is still excellent. Detailed, yet smooth without the sibilance/ringing that I’ve heard in so many other speakers. The midrange is very clear with excellent vocals and good separation between instruments. The bass is fast and accurate without any of the “muddiness” that my Def Techs have. The Sierra’s are capable of playing quite deep and don’t require a subwoofer for much of what I listen to, but I do keep the subs playing all the time because they add a nice weight to the music (when appropriate) and movies are definitely more fun with the dual subs.

Just yesterday, I reconnected the Def Techs to do one last side by side comparison, and the improvement in sound of the Sierra’s was very obvious. In fact, I was listening to the Def Techs at moderate/loud volume when my wife came home and asked which speaker I was playing. I told her that I was listening to my old speakers and she stated “Oh, good. I was hoping it wasn’t the new ones because it didn’t sound good at all. I didn’t realize how much better the new ones are until now”. I must say that this made my day, because my wife doesn’t complement my electronics purchases unless she can see or hear a clear improvement.

As I’m sure you can tell, I’m very happy with my decision to buy the Sierra Towers. I’m exceptionally happy about the fact that I can listen to music and be completely involved in what I’m hearing without having to buy room treatments that my wife would have been opposed to. After years of searching for speakers, I was beginning to think that I wasn’t going to find a solution to my needs that would completely satisfy my musical desires.

Would I change anything if I were to do it again? Yes. I would have bought the Sierra’s in espresso, or in a custom color. I find the black bamboo to be nice, but not as attractive as Sugarcane’s espresso. There is something about the contrast of the woofers and RAAL tweeter when installed in a lighter colored box than black. Of course, I knew that black wasn’t what I “really” wanted; it was the color that my wife was accepting of. Although now that we’ve had the Sierra’s for a few months, she thinks that she would have preferred to go with the espresso or a custom espresso (to match our dark espresso furniture). If only she had told me earlier!

I’m now looking to upgrade my receiver and disc player (Oppo 103/105 or Cambridge 752BD). I was never able to listen to my Def Techs at a volume that was too high for my receiver to handle because the brightness of the tweeters always became annoying before I could push my Marantz receiver too hard. I have noticed that because the Sierra’s are so much smoother and cleaner sounding, that I can bring the volume up considerably more to the point that the receiver begins to strain. When playing multichannel classical SACDs I’ve noticed that the lights on my Marantz dim significantly with loud passages and the fan blows so loud after just one song that it is disruptive during quiet passages. The search for audio perfection continues, but at least now I’ve got the most important part of the chain figured out (speakers) and I can upgrade the rest in time.

Default Re: Review of my Sierra Towers with RAAL

thanks mattcpt for the followup we was wanting the satin espresso finish but it was on back order instead of waiting we went the black bamboo.we also have a def tech system the sm 350 for left and right and the clr 2002 for the center had for around10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by swallan View Post
    thanks mattcpt for the followup we was wanting the satin espresso finish but it was on back order instead of waiting we went the black bamboo.we also have a def tech system the sm 350 for left and right and the clr 2002 for the center had for around10 years.
    How do you like your black bamboo? It's hard to tell what it's like from the pics. Do you see the wood grain in it?

I find that the wood grain of the black bamboo is very subtle. I can only notice it if I'm up close and a light is reflecting off the wood. Otherwise it looks like the standard black satin to my eyes. The finish is nice, but having had seen the espresso in person, I wish I had spent more time persuading my wife to go with the espresso or a custom espresso finish. At the time I was willing to compromise on the color because my wife was very agreeable to the purchase if I went with black. Her fear was that the speakers would look similar to our current furniture, but not enough alike to "get away with it".

Swallan,
    If I may ask, why is it that you are looking to replace your speakers? Are you just ready for a new sound or is there something about your speakers that doesn’t satisfy you?

their is nothing wrong with the system i think they are good for buck its just after 10 years i would like to upgrade i just never had the funds before i think the ascends would be a good upgrade.mattcpt what surrounds are you using if any for the time being i will move my def techs sm 350 for surrounds.

I'm using some Def Tech in ceiling surround speakers. My room layout doesn't allow for on or in wall speakers. I'm not sure what model the speakers are, I would need to look for the invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by mattcpt View Post
    In fact, I was listening to the Def Techs at moderate/loud volume when my wife came home and asked which speaker I was playing. I told her that I was listening to my old speakers and she stated “Oh, good. I was hoping it wasn’t the new ones because it didn’t sound good at all. I didn’t realize how much better the new ones are until now”. I must say that this made my day, because my wife doesn’t complement my electronics purchases unless she can see or hear a clear improvement.
    I had a similar experience with the wife. She was for getting the speakers since I had waited about ten years to go to surround, but had little to no interest....until she heard them. I know I could tell a difference, but when she said she did out of the blue, it was a nice moment.

Can you post some pics? I'd like to see the black bamboo in their native environment. I think I've only seen the pictures Dave posted when Blutarsky first ordered his.

I too went with the black bamboo finish and the grain/detail is very subtle. Unless you get close up, you can't see the grain of the bamboo. It was $300 more expensive than the black matte. They didn't have the black matte in stock went I visited/purchased, so I went with the black bamboo instead. If I had the option, I would have opted for the black matte and then used the savings to upgrade the center channel to the RAAL. But I have no regrets...just nitpicking.

I will post some pics this weekend. I will try to get both natural light and indoor light pics so you can get a better idea of what they look like.

Here are the pics that I took over the weekend. I hope they're helpful.
    IMG_6225.JPGIMG_6226.JPGIMG_6227.JPGIMG_6233.JPGIMG_6234.JPGIMG_6235.JPG