Thread: Help selecting an amplifier for my 170's

Default Help selecting an amplifier for my 170's

Hi everyone, I just purchased a set of CBM-170's. They are my first hi-fi speaker purchase and I love them. Now I've got the bug and I want to upgrade the amp. I'm currently using a SMSL-50 T-amp from amazon for 60 bucks. The little thing is great but I feel like I could get more out of these speakers. I will soon have $1000 to spend on an amplifier and I would love some suggestions.

I'm would like a Tube preamp with either a tube or SS power amp to go with it, I'd prefer used gear because I hear that you can get much better stuff for around the same price as new if you're patient. Honestly I don't know where to start. I've heard that getting a good tube pre will give the most noticeable increase in sound quality so I'm thinking I could spend $2-300 on a decent power amp and $7-800 on a nice tube pre. If anyone has any suggestions for older models or things to look for I would be most grateful. Cheers!

Default Re: Help selecting an amplifier for my 170's

Have you considered an integrated amp? Here's a highly regarded model which would stretch your budget slightly:
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Jolida-J...2&category=271
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by zRouth View Post
    I've heard that getting a good tube pre will give the most noticeable increase in sound quality....
    This is highly subjective.

What tubes in amps and pre-amps do is add distortion/warmth. Some people like this, and some people don't.
    -curtis

Everything I've read about Jolida customer service has been awful. So many people have said not to get Jolida equipment. Do you have experience with them personally? Also I saw this one...

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...-naperville-il

looks like a good deal, and some positive reviews on amazon about that amp.

I realize this is highly subjective. I've played guitar for 12 years and I like the way tube amps sound, the warmth is what I'm looking for. I don't need people to make guesses as to what I'll like and not like, what I do need are some suggestions for good tube pre's.. Thanks Curtis.

Quote Originally Posted by zRouth View Post
    Everything I've read about Jolida customer service has been awful. So many people have said not to get Jolida equipment. Do you have experience with them personally? Also I saw this one...

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...-naperville-il

looks like a good deal, and some positive reviews on amazon about that amp.
    I just did a quick google for integrated tube amps and their name came up. I'd heard of them before but no firsthand experience. The unit you linked to looks like a decent model, however lower powered than the Jolida. Probably not a factor in the end.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Good luck in your search. Tube equipment is mostly relegated to expensive boutique equipment for those willing to pay for the different distortion profile of older equipment and willing to overlook the other disadvantages of the tech.
    You can build a basic tube preamp with instructions found online or buy one that others have assembled on eBay.