Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching headphones?

Angry Matching headphones?

Hi all-

I have a conundrum. I have been spoiled with my Sierra-1 setup and I've become very accustomed to the sonic signature of them. Now all the headphones I listen to sound comparatively poor, even when paired with a decent headphone amp. I have probably gone through a dozen pairs of headphones and three or four well regarded headphone amps in the last two years. I've tried a bit of everything in the sub $400 range but I haven't ventured above that. I'm willing to spend more if needed. Has anyone found anything that they would say stacks up to their Sierras?

Thanks-

Chad

Default Re: Matching headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by seemonkey View Post
    Hi all-

I have a conundrum. I have been spoiled with my Sierra-1 setup and I've become very accustomed to the sonic signature of them. Now all the headphones I listen to sound comparatively poor, even when paired with a decent headphone amp. I have probably gone through a dozen pairs of headphones and three or four well regarded headphone amps in the last two years. I've tried a bit of everything in the sub $400 range but I haven't ventured above that. I'm willing to spend more if needed. Has anyone found anything that they would say stacks up to their Sierras?
    Headphones are completely different animals because the room never comes into play....so it is hard to compare.
    -curtis

My Sennheiser HD800's have as much detail as any speaker I've heard.

They're not cheap. And they need a good amp, preferably tubes.

When I was at the CES a few years ago, I visited Grado's suite. I had no idea of how good headphones could sound. It is a different audiophile scene, but worth exploring.

http://www.head-fi.org/

B.

Interesting thread - worth resurrecting I think

I used to have Sennheiser hd595s but sold them for hd280s and cash to put toward an ipad for my daughter. I didn't see the point of the 595s.

Now like the OP I have Sierra 1s and now I see the point of great audio. Having to go on trips it is just too bulky to take my 1s with me - though I did think about it!

I used to lurk at Head-Fi but thought I would bring this up again for any other recommendations from folks who have heard the Sierras. Senn 800 cans noted - thanks. Maybe something in the HD 600 range would be enough. I do have a decent portable amp already.

Another good site is the headphone Reviews dot org. http://headphonereviews.org/ Head-fi people hang out there too.
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 01-19-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: spellink

The Audyssey planar headphones will end your search.

Do you mean 'audeze? '
    Nate

[QUOTE=natetg57;50551]Do you mean 'audeze? '[/QUOTE
    D'oh!
    Yes, I always spell this wrong. AUDEZE!
    I heard these at Arnie Nudell's home last summer when he was reviewing them for Stereophile. He is the founder of Infinity and Genesis Audio Technologies speakers....He now listens to these headphones to the exclusion of his A++++ home speaker system.
    He played a female vocalist for me, and I jokingly said that "I could hear digestion!"
    B.

In my experience, it is far easier to find good sounding headphones than speakers. The power levels are very low and the listening environment (the area in the ear cup) is tightly controlled by the manufacturer.
    I've also found that headphone reviews are considerably more reliable than speaker reviews, or at least they more often lack weird "voodoo" claims. Head-fi

Aaron Dean, a DJ friend of mine and a headphone expert, recommends the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the (better, more expensive, now hard to find) Denon AH-D2000.

I have Sennheiser HD-650's. They sound fine but the fit and finish quality is surprisingly poor considering their price (which is now lower than when I bought them). The paint started peeling after a few months of light use, for example.

If you are interested in ear buds, as of a few years ago, Etymotic Research had some impressive units.

Thanks for the tips.

Seems HIFI Man also sells planar headphones - probably not as good but less expensive. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZG32I4/...I3W0Y0EHUJOB9L

Now that holidays are over it doesn't matter as much - but maybe headphones at work would be worth it - since I don't think I will be buying a pair of Sierras for the office.

Sorry to derail the discussion away from the beloved speakers!