Thread: ideal distance between sierra1s?

Default ideal distance between sierra1s?

Recently I moved my sierra 1s from 5ft apart to 6ft apart. Doing this left me very surprised as how much the sound-stage improved and totally removed any of the harshness the speakers had. I originally thought it was just the recording I was listening to, but when I played tracks that I considered to sound "harsh" at times to turn out to sound very smooth and spacious I began to feel that moving them apart has made a very noticeable difference.

How far apart is everyone's sierras? Is there a minimum distance in feet to be considered? Is there an ideal width? I'll set them apart even further next time just to see if theres any noticeable affect.

Default Re: ideal distance between sierra1s?

From what I've read, if you have a single listener, you want to create an equilateral triangle with the speakers angled inward. For more than one listener, the distance between the speakers should be 80% the distance to the center listening position.

Edit: Depending how they're currently situated, you may want to give them additional breathing room as well. The general consensus for the Sierras is about 12-24" away from the wall.
    Last edited by Stump909; 02-26-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Stump is right on.

But also remember that everything is a guideline, and all rooms are different acoustically, so position the speakers to what sounds best for you.
    -curtis

The amount of Toe-in is also in this equation.

B.

The standard recommendation is to have at a minimum a 45 degree spread (each speaker 22.5 degrees to either side of straight ahead), and at a maximum a 60 degree spread (each speaker 30 degrees to either side of straight ahead). The amount of toe in is a matter of taste. But in general, try to keep all ears of all listeners within a 30 degree "cone" from the front face of each speaker, or, at most, a 45 degree "cone" of a 30 degree "cone" would have the speakers toed in too far.

Use your trigonometry