Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cable quality

Default Re: Speaker cable quality

I say go with whatever wins this award, that way you're sure to get the best!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    There is some good information at that site - also some not so good...
    Dave, don't tell me you believe in cable risers, cable directivity or burning in a cable!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious to know what you're talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post

Dave, don't tell me you believe in cable risers, cable directivity or burning in a cable!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious to know what you're talking about!
    I'm really curious as well. With such contrasting viewpoints on the issue, it's always nice to hear the arguments behind differing opinions.

Your own experience is the only thing that matters.

Borrow some different cables and experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    Your own experience is the only thing that matters.

Borrow some different cables and experiment.
    And that's how audiophile myths are propagated. Without a proper double-blind testing protocol, our experience is heavily influenced by our biases and expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    And that's how audiophile myths are propagated. Without a proper double-blind testing protocol, our experience is heavily influenced by our biases and expectations.
    Exactly. If there were objective reports or double-blind tests showing that "Gimmick A" actually produced a measurable improvement over generic 12AWG cables, I'd be really interested in seeing them. Still, I'd like to hear what Dave disagrees with in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    Exactly. If there were objective reports or double-blind tests showing that "Gimmick A" actually produced a measurable improvement over generic 12AWG cables, I'd be really interested in seeing them. Still, I'd like to hear what Dave disagrees with in the article.
    My disagreements with the inforrmation presented only had to do with the opinions presented on how loudspeaker impedances are rated. As quoted from the site

"The rated impedance is normally the lowest value in the curve"

Not correct....

This was really the only section I read, I rarely read up on cables as they are the simplest of devices consisting of (3) specifications: inductance, capacitance and resistance. I have indeed measured differences in cables and I once heard 2 distinct differences in 2 specialized cables. One was wound in such a way as to have very high inductance and the other had high capacitance. The cable with high inductance sounded warmer due to a mild roll-off of the high frequencies and the cable with high capacitance sounded more detailed but thin. These cables were specifically designed for their intended purposes -- to determine whether higher inductance or higher capacitance was preferred...

That said, you all well know I am not a believer in the cable industry, although I do wish Ascend had a product that I could sell with a ten times (or more) markup
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    That said, you all well know I am not a believer in the cable industry, although I do wish Ascend had a product that I could sell with a ten times (or more) markup
    Wish no further...I have created the prototype Ascend cable riser. This custom tweak promises to reduce interference from cellular towers, eliminate static discharge from dust bunnies, and obliterate polar ice cap erosion from global warming. It's also guaranteed to make your sound better by 230%. You'll get more powerful woofing, midder mids, and crispy highs.

All of this can be had for the amazingly-low introductory price of $299 per riser. By a pack of 10 and save $250!

I'll let you run with my idea as long as I get 21.5% of the profits.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 03-02-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    -Jacob

Dave: Interesting! Would you describe those two cables as 'broken by design' though? Seems so, so no matter if they 'sounded' different (skewed the signal a certain way), they would be worst than the most basic copper cable...

I guess I just yearn for more objectivity in audio... A cable is a cable; not an EQ.. there's no magic gremlins to attack cables!! I think it was the russell page mentions using a cloth hanger as speaker wire; and it worked and sounded fine...

Basically, two camps, those who believe, and those who don't.. Imho, only one of those 2 are rational.. Can cables make a diff, yeah, but they should not; if they do, they are inadequate or broken; inferior...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.

I know that some cables can make subtle differences. Sure is a big, and expensive task to find out though. Reviews are worthless.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    I know that some cables can make subtle differences. Sure is a big, and expensive task to find out though. Reviews are worthless.

B.
    Only if by difference you mean in your wallet, sure. (and then most likely it's not subtle at all...) Otherwise, I'd say no... Or if they do, they are broken...

It's like saying, I don't know... Does a fork change the taste of food? If your fork changes the taste of whatever you are eating, you've got a problem... Maybe it's dirty and there's left over food on it, maybe it's made if lead or cheap ass toxic plastic, but whatever the reason, if you can taste your utensils while eating food, something's wrong...

It's exactly the same for speaker wire. If your speaker wire alters the signal so that there's an audible difference, you've got a problem on your hands... Some guy raving about the sound of a speaker cable is akin to a lunatic raving about the taste of his fork... Yeah ok your fork has a taste and you love the taste of your fork, wtf, that's not a purpose of a fork... You want to change the taste of your food, put some spices, change the cooking, whatever! Music is exactly the same... It's a CABLE, it transmits an electrical signal, the perfect cable would it perfectly, basically any decently sized copper wire does it to near perfection (nowhere near as badly as blind tests could detect), so if a cable sounds differently, something is off...

Subtle differences? No... If there's subtle differences, one of the cable is defective or inadequate, or even worst, broken by design... And if you pay a lot of $$$ for a worst cable than just plain old ordinary copper cable, I don't know what to say... Something about a fool and his money
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-06-2013 at 02:22 PM.