Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMT Tower

Default CMT Tower

I am an owner and fan of the CMT-340 SE.

How about raising the speaker to the next level like what was done to the Sierra-1 and make a CMT Tower?

Default Re: CMT Tower

Or maybe a CBM Tower for those who cannot swing for the Sierra Towers.

Interesting question...I asked something similar last year:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...0se&highlight=

Why? Is it only for an aesthetic reason? Adding a sub or two, plus the stands would probably be a better value.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    Why? Is it only for an aesthetic reason? Adding a sub or two, plus the stands would probably be a better value.
    There is not enough volume in the stands to add a proper subwoofer.

Ascend puts a lot of work into designing a speaker. The Sierra Tower, even though they look similar, the woofers are not the same as the one used in the Sierra-1/NrT.
    -curtis

The idea is a less expensive tower than the Sierra Towers. Can go deeper in the bass than the bookshelf, and will make a sub optional for music. Maybe less than $1000 per pair?

How about starting with the CBM then adding two more woofers below for deeper bass? I don't know anything about speaker design, but this is the idea in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    The idea is a less expensive tower than the Sierra Towers. Can go deeper in the bass than the bookshelf, and will make a sub optional for music. Maybe less than $1000 per pair?

How about starting with the CBM then adding two more woofers below for deeper bass? I don't know anything about speaker design, but this is the idea in mind.
    For less than $1K a pair, the Sierra-1 goes down to 44hz anechoic. The CMT-340SE goes to 48hz. The Sierra Tower goes down to 42hz. The CBM-170SE down to 58hz.

If bass is what you want under $1k...you can get a better overall speaker than the 170 with the Sierra-1. Or, get a nice $500 subwoofer....and get much deeper bass down to 25hz, and keep the same quality mids/highs with the 170.

Just some thoughts for what your goal really is.
    -curtis

I think the goal is similar to what inspired the creation of the Sierra Towers. If I am not mistaken, that is to bring the performance of the Sierra-1 to another level in a tower offering. So I'm imagining the idea of bringing the level of the CBM to another level in a tower version.

One thing to remember is that the Sierra-1 was Ascend's top-of-the-line loudspeaker. In order to improve on an already outstanding design, Dave built on the Sierra-1's strengths with a 3-way tower system.

I'm not sure a 340 tower could be justified. I mean, if you want better SQ, you just step up to the Sierra-1 or Towers. What do you have in mind for a 340 tower? A dedicated mid? A different tweeter? Upgraded MDF?

If you just want a "bigger" speaker, the Towers play that role well enough.
    -Jacob

I have been giving this some thought over the past month and while it might seem like I have ignored this thread, trust me -- I haven't

I do have a few ideas but my plate is full right now. I am going to try a few a few things just for fun to see if I like the results...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com