Thread: Help... Small Tear in Woofer Surround on Sierra Towers

Default Help... Small Tear in Woofer Surround on Sierra Towers

I was enjoying listening to Sade on my Sierra Towers (NRT) with the grills off the other day. In a part of the music with lots of bass, the bottom cone excursions caught the attention of our new kitten, and she suddenly leaped up to kill the sucker! Ohh Noooo! Her claws snagged on the surround, and I had to unhook her. No scratches on the Black Bamboo finish, but now there is a tear in the middle of the bottom surround. No material is missing, just a triangle shape flap about 3mm in length.

This does not seem to have affected the sound at all, but is purely cosmetic. However, I have some experience with speaker building and repair, and would perhaps like to repair it. I hope the forum can give me some advice on what to do. Repair options, or maybe simply replace the driver?

I read in a car subwoofer forums that the following material might works well for repairing surrounds...
    Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
    http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180...ex+ultra+black

Also, I have read that surrounds are made out of Butyl rubber, so perhaps a "Gutter and Flashing" Butyl sealant such as this...
    http://www.intropc.com/item-29879-98...l-sealant.html

Any other ideas for repair?

I haven't gotten a quote from Ascend on how much it cost to ship me new woofer, but maybe that is the best route (I am quite comfortable installing it myself unless that voided the warranty).

Thanks much in advance for everybody's help!!!
    Last edited by phlw; 11-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Default Re: Help... Small Tear in Woofer Surround on Sierra Towers

Quote Originally Posted by phlw View Post
    I was enjoying listening to Sade on my Sierra Towers (NRT) with the grills off the other day. In a part of the music with lots of bass, the bottom cone excursions caught the attention of our new kitten, and she suddenly leaped up to kill the sucker! Ohh Noooo! Her claws snagged on the surround, and I had to unhook her. No scratches on the Black Bamboo finish, but now there is a tear in the middle of the bottom surround. No material is missing, just a triangle shape flap about 3mm in length.

This does not seem to have affected the sound at all, but is purely cosmetic. However, I have some experience with speaker building and repair, and would perhaps like to repair it. I hope the forum can give me some advice on what to do. Repair options, or maybe simply replace the driver?

I read in a car subwoofer forums that the following material might works well for repairing surrounds...
    Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
    http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180...ex+ultra+black

Also, I have read that surrounds are made out of Butyl rubber, so perhaps a "Gutter and Flashing" Butyl sealant such as this...
    http://www.intropc.com/item-29879-98...l-sealant.html

Any other ideas for repair?

I haven't gotten a quote from Ascend on how much it cost to ship me new woofer, but maybe that is the best route (I am quite comfortable installing it myself unless that voided the warranty).

Thanks much in advance for everybody's help!!!
    I am so sorry to hear this! Just don't de-claw the little fella, maybe give her a bath as punishment

Please send us a pic when you get a chance so I can make a recommendation.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No de-clawing, just yelling no no no at her!!! She got a bath the other day, but that is because she thought the toilet was worth investigating and she fell right in. Had to give her a scrubbing with soap and water in the deep-sink after that!

I have attached a few pics. Hopefully not too devastating.

Thanks for looking Dave...

Phil

Surround Tear 1 small.jpgSurround Tear 2 Small.jpgSurround Tear 3 Small.jpgSurround Tear 4 Small.jpg

No de-clawing, just yelling no no no at her!!! She got a bath the other day, but that is because she thought the toilet was worth investigating and she fell right in. Had to give her a scrubbing with soap and water in the deep-sink after that!

I have attached a few pics. Hopefully not too devastating.

Thanks for looking Dave...

Phil
    Hi Phil,

That is not too bad at all. A replacement woofer is $98 if you want to go that route. If not, I don't recommend using any type of adhesive or coating as it will change the compliance of the surround. The best option is to use a very small piece of clear lightweight scotch tape, on the rear of the surround and on the front of the surround. Use as small of a piece as possible to cover the tear.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Phil,

That is not too bad at all. A replacement woofer is $98 if you want to go that route. If not, I don't recommend using any type of adhesive or coating as it will change the compliance of the surround. The best option is to use a very small piece of clear lightweight scotch tape, on the rear of the surround and on the front of the surround. Use as small of a piece as possible to cover the tear.
    Thank you for the help Dave. I'll see what tape I can find that is strong, lightweight and sticks well.

I was hoping Duct tape would work because that is all I use to repair everything else around the house...

I was hoping Duct tape would work because that is all I use to repair everything else around the house...
    Haha -- same here... Ever see the Mythbusters episode called Duct Tape Island?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Somewhat unrelated to the OP's subject, but I am curious about something. I always thought it was a bad thing to touch that part of the speaker with bare fingers. Is this true? Does it somehow degrade the speaker if any part of the cone is touched with bare skin?

Back in the day, I'd use a small dab of fingernail polish on something like that....guess I was doing it wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post
    Somewhat unrelated to the OP's subject, but I am curious about something. I always thought it was a bad thing to touch that part of the speaker with bare fingers. Is this true? Does it somehow degrade the speaker if any part of the cone is touched with bare skin?
    These woofers are polypropylene and the surrounds are butyl rubber. It is absolutely OK to touch any part of the woofer with your bare skin
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com