Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with CBM-170 SE in comparison to Energy RC-10 or V5.1?

Default Re: Help with CBM-170 SE in comparison to Energy RC-10 or V5.1?

Are you sending the full signal to the sub and the speakers? Or does the signal go to the sub and then the speakers?
    -curtis

The Mirage Prestige S10 only has a single LFE input. So that goes to the HK 3390, which has no bass management.

Quote Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
    The Mirage Prestige S10 only has a single LFE input. So that goes to the HK 3390, which has no bass management.
    Got it.

Do you have any way to take measurements in your room?
    -curtis

I could take measurements with my SPL meter, but not really worried about that. My chair is maybe 16" from the subwoofer. I can tweak it by ear until I get it where I want it. Just saying before that a little more slope might make the crossover transition smoother, but I'm not worried about it.

After listening now for a few days, I have to say I'm very happy with the sound of the 170s, enough that if I didn't ever hook up the V5.1s to compare them, I don't think I would miss them.

Not saying that the 170s are necessarily better overall, because the change to a new sound is often part of the difference in the pleasure of the listening experience. But one thing I definitely do like is the better bass output. I have been running them with my sub turned off, and a very large majority of the time, I don't miss the sub.

I could take measurements with my SPL meter, but not really worried about that. My chair is maybe 16" from the subwoofer. I can tweak it by ear until I get it where I want it. Just saying before that a little more slope might make the crossover transition smoother, but I'm not worried about it.
    Taking measurements would help to make sure that there is a flat response in the crossover area.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Taking measurements would help to make sure that there is a flat response in the crossover area.
    No doubt, but I'm going to end up setting it wherever it sounds best to me

No doubt, but I'm going to end up setting it wherever it sounds best to me
    Got it!
    -curtis

Heh there 4145, i'm right there with you. I too enjoy listening without subs and explore the range and lower extension of any capable design. To me its very interesting how our auditory perceptions and auditory realizations are triggered. We love to have deep extension with our mains even though majority of signal is center channel, and then on top of that we use a crossover point of say 80hz for LFE signal but still expect and sometimes demand our L and R's to dig deep when we want them to. I super enjoy turning center off and subs off leaving surrounds active and full signal going to the L and R and exploring accurate sound and extension with the wifey and daughter. My .02...

So I did a little bit of A/B testing with the 170s and the V5.1s, no sub. HK 3390 with ODAC, so no room correction, no EQing.

The Ascends do have the edge on midbass, sometimes coming across more powerfully than the Energys, or at other times, simply a little better defined in their response.

Because of their exaggerated highs, the Energy has an advantage with vocals in some songs. Although it's not always the boosted highs that are doing it. In The Allman Brothers' Midnight Rider, the vocals on the V5.1s overshadow the guitar, which sounds subdued in comparison to the guitar with the 170s. Gregg Allman's voice is the wrong timbre to benefit from the increased treble. Must be hearing the reduced mid response that shows in this measurement. I actually prefer the 170s in this instance.

I'd be curious to know how these would compare in a system after an Audyssey EQ. Would it level out the Energys?

And so far, I could be happy with either one. Too close to call. Good thing I don't have to choose. One pair will go in another room in the house where they won't get used as much, and I can switch them back and forth as I want. What I'll do now is just use the Ascends for a few days, and then switch back to the Energys for a few days, and then back again, and see what I think.