Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with CBM-170 SE in comparison to Energy RC-10 or V5.1?

Default Help with CBM-170 SE in comparison to Energy RC-10 or V5.1?

I'm using Energy RC-10s and Veritas V5.1s in two different computer desktop systems in the house, and I'm toying with getting the CBM-170 SE for something different and getting rid of one of the Energy sets. Can anyone offer any comments on tonal differences and detail/clarity comparisons to either (or both) of the Energys? Imaging is not that important to me since these are for nearfield use on either side of dual 23" monitors.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: Help with CBM-170 SE in comparison to Energy RC-10 or V5.1?

Although I have not compared them side-by-side in the same environment, I've installed some RC-10s for others, and it sounds sufficiently different from the CBM-170 SE (which I use in my own home theater) for me to comment (with a grain of salt). In the broadest terms, to my ear it's obviously a warmer and more "polite" speaker than the 170SE--mellower in the treble and upper midrange (but still fairly detailed), a bit fuller-sounding in the mid-bass region, and rather "laid-back" overall. The 170SE is more neutral and balanced in every way--it's a more accurate and perhaps more resolving speaker (or at least it makes details more apparent), but this doesn't necessarily mean that it sounds "better" to everybody. Relatively speaking, its bass output will sound leaner but tighter, and overall it will sound brighter and more "forward" than the RC-10. In addition, the 170SE seems better at filling the room with sound, so to speak (and I have a huge room)--it's not a "shy" speaker for its class in any respect, in my opinion. Personally, I love the 170SE because it does what I ask of it, and very well. The RC-10 is also a high-quality, nice-sounding speaker for its class, but it colors the sound a lot more.

Thanks. That's helpful. I'm mainly just interested in trying a different sound, and my sense even before what you said is that the CBM-170 SE would provide that. More curiosity than expecting an upgrade because most likely my individual tastes will determine which I like better, and that's hard to predict until you actually hear them.

After I wrote that last message, I thought, "Why don't I just order a pair and see what they sound like." LOL

Got my order placed. Will hear them sometime next week.

Since I have the Energy V5.1s, I would be interested in the results of your listening test.

Sure. If I don't post back in a couple of weeks, feel free to nudge me with a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
    After I wrote that last message, I thought, "Why don't I just order a pair and see what they sound like." LOL

Got my order placed. Will hear them sometime next week.
    Have they shown up?
    -curtis

Yeah...I was wondering the same thing...I can't see him not liking the 170's and I await his impressions. I know he favours the V5.1's being more forward in nature vs the RC10's....I think he'll enjoy the mid range and overall accuracy of the 170's if they're as close to the Sierras as some have suggested.

Come on Charlie....we're waiting...lol

Re: Bill...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Yeah...I was wondering the same thing...I can't see him not liking the 170's and I await his impressions. I know he favours the V5.1's being more forward in nature vs the RC10's....I think he'll enjoy the mid range and overall accuracy of the 170's if they're as close to the Sierras as some have suggested.

Come on Charlie....we're waiting...lol

Re: Bill...
    How you liking the Anthem? Do you notice a big difference with arc?

They shipped this week and the date was supposed to be the 22nd, and then UPS changed it to the 25th. So waiting, twiddling my thumbs, wondering when the speakers will get here