Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ~$350 TV Stand

Default Re: ~$350 TV Stand

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    The top of my tv is 60". It's a little high but I like it for when we're reclined. The stand from Home Depot is only 50". Doesn't seem too tall to me.

I hadn't read the Home Depot dimension specs, I was using the dimensions pic here http://www.standsandmounts.com/zline...788-50mvu.aspx which suggests the Home Depot specs might be off...

That would put the top of the TV closer to 70" I think. I'm not sure if I'd be able to move the mount down to the next notch and still have enough clearance for the Sierra-1 center.

Our couch seats are 15" off the ground.
    Last edited by edgeh2o; 02-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post
    Off topic question- what is the best way to dust off the Piano Black Sierra-1 speakers? Will any towel do or should I stick to something microfiber?
    A clean microfiber cloth.
    -curtis

Well I'm still on the search. I wandered away from only looking at stands with integrated mounts and found these 2:

I really liked the look of this one http://www.wayfair.com/dCOR-design-B...1-XSN1002.html

It has an open area for a center speaker/equipment on top, and an enclosed storage area on the bottom. Price is kind of high but I would have managed. Then I looked at the measurements and was bummed to find the height of the open area was slightly under 7.1", since I need 7.5" to accommodate the Sierra-1. Darn, I really wanted this one to work.

Then I saw this one http://www.wayfair.com/Hokku-Designs...L-KUI3085.html

At first I really liked the way it looked, but the more I look at it, I'm just not sure I'm in love with those curved front columns lol. But since this is 1 of 2 TV stands I bookmarked after looking at 900 TV stands just now, I realize I can't be that picky. It has drawers which I like, although reviewers did say they are pretty shallow. But all I'm concerned about is my center speaker. I could take the glass shelf out of the middle and use something to raise the Sierra-1 as high as I could and angle it slightly towards where my head would be on the couch. Even though the center area is open through the back of the stand, I'm still concerned being so enclosed would hamper the Sierra-1's SQ. Am I worrying to much? What do you guys think about this one?

I really liked the look of this one http://www.wayfair.com/dCOR-design-B...1-XSN1002.html

It has an open area for a center speaker/equipment on top, and an enclosed storage area on the bottom. Price is kind of high but I would have managed. Then I looked at the measurements and was bummed to find the height of the open area was slightly under 7.1", since I need 7.5" to accommodate the Sierra-1. Darn, I really wanted this one to work.

Then I saw this one http://www.wayfair.com/Hokku-Designs...L-KUI3085.html
    I looked at the drawing with dimensions, it looks like there is about 7" of clearance from the front. But, there may be more from the side. Maybe the Sierra-1 could be slid in from the side. The top of the speaker would be slightly behind the beam that supports the top. Hope that makes sense. Maybe you would have to ask the company specifically or find a location that has it in stock.

I looked at the drawing with dimensions, it looks like there is about 7" of clearance from the front. But, there may be more from the side. Maybe the Sierra-1 could be slid in from the side. The top of the speaker would be slightly behind the beam that supports the top. Hope that makes sense. Maybe you would have to ask the company specifically or find a location that has it in stock.
    You're right. I have this exact stand, even had a photo of it in my thread when I was trying to figure out my center channel placement issues. Side clearance is 8.5". The black metal bar supporting the top glass shelf is 1.5" high and 0.75" deep, so your center won't be sitting too far from the edge. The top shelf can be freely re-positioned, so you can push it all the way back to minimize the front overhang.

If you are handy with tools or just have access to a band saw and a drill press, it's fairly easy to get an extra corner post or two from the manufacturer, cut off 4 1-2" segments and use them to extend the height of the existing corner posts and the clearance above the open shelf. That's what I did to fit my standard Horizon on there.

I think it's a pretty nice stand for the price. The corner posts are solid wood, the top shelf and doors are glass, the rest is cheapo particle board, but the extra hidden support in the center of the stand doesn't let it bow. If you put a receiver on one of the enclosed shelves, I wouldn't mount the back piece to maintain adequate ventilation and I would keep the glass doors open when receiver is on.

Instead of Wayfair, you can buy it from Amazon for $345 with free freight shipping (just make sure you don't select other 3rd party merchants). Amazon knocked off another $100 for me for some minor shipping damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    You're right. I have this exact stand, even had a photo of it in my thread when I was trying to figure out my center channel placement issues. Side clearance is 8.5". The black metal bar supporting the top glass shelf is 1.5" high and 0.75" deep, so your center won't be sitting too far from the edge. The top shelf can be freely re-positioned, so you can push it all the way back to minimize the front overhang.

If you are handy with tools or just have access to a band saw and a drill press, it's fairly easy to get an extra corner post or two from the manufacturer, cut off 4 1-2" segments and use them to extend the height of the existing corner posts and the clearance above the open shelf. That's what I did to fit my standard Horizon on there.

I think it's a pretty nice stand for the price. The corner posts are solid wood, the top shelf and doors are glass, the rest is cheapo particle board, but the extra hidden support in the center of the stand doesn't let it bow. If you put a receiver on one of the enclosed shelves, I wouldn't mount the back piece to maintain adequate ventilation and I would keep the glass doors open when receiver is on.

Instead of Wayfair, you can buy it from Amazon for $345 with free freight shipping (just make sure you don't select other 3rd party merchants). Amazon knocked off another $100 for me for some minor shipping damage.
    Thanks guys. Kisakuku- do you have any pics of your modded TV stand? That is a great idea, just don't know anyone with that equipment. I suppose I could go to Home Depot and ask them to, and after that did you just glue them on to the existing posts? I'm just now seeing that the TV stand is only 20" high, kind of on the low side. The Center speaker would be so close to the ground I would have to angle it pretty high. Ideally I'd like the Center to be about 22" high so it would be more in level with the L/R speakers. If I did that, I'd have to buy some sort of TV shelf to go over the Center to rest the TV on. So bummed I can't just wall mount the TV.

Here are some pics. Currently TV less (returned 2 LEDs and now waiting for the 2013 plasmas), speaker standless (waiting for the Ascend TP-24's to come in stock), and so I'm using my monitor/comp for watching stuff.

WP_000670.jpgWP_000671.jpg

Kisakuku- do you have any pics of your modded TV stand? That is a great idea, just don't know anyone with that equipment. I suppose I could go to Home Depot and ask them to, and after that did you just glue them on to the existing posts? I'm just now seeing that the TV stand is only 20" high, kind of on the low side. The Center speaker would be so close to the ground I would have to angle it pretty high. Ideally I'd like the Center to be about 22" high so it would be more in level with the L/R speakers. If I did that, I'd have to buy some sort of TV shelf to go over the Center to rest the TV on. So bummed I can't just wall mount the TV.
    No photos yet as I haven't put the whole thing together yet in a permanent way. The corner post extensions are reversible and just sit on metal rods inserted into pre-drilled holes in the centers of the posts and post extensions (hence the drill press). The Horizon will be angled up 4 degrees with 3 pieces of acoustic foam from Auralex ProPads.

Either your center will be too low or your TV will be too high. I think it's easier to angle up the center than to angle down the TV unless the TV is mounted to an articulating stand. (A BDI Arena mount will run you around $700.)

In your environment with ambient light coming in through the blinds, I would suggest looking at LCDs over plasmas. I have a full array Sony 55HX929, couldn't be happier.

Sanus SF series speaker stands might be a good substitute for the Ascend ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    No photos yet as I haven't put the whole thing together yet in a permanent way. The corner post extensions are reversible and just sit on metal rods inserted into pre-drilled holes in the centers of the posts and post extensions (hence the drill press). The Horizon will be angled up 4 degrees with 3 pieces of acoustic foam from Auralex ProPads.

Either your center will be too low or your TV will be too high. I think it's easier to angle up the center than to angle down the TV unless the TV is mounted to an articulating stand. (A BDI Arena mount will run you around $700.)

In your environment with ambient light coming in through the blinds, I would suggest looking at LCDs over plasmas. I have a full array Sony 55HX929, couldn't be happier.

Sanus SF series speaker stands might be a good substitute for the Ascend ones.
    Just noticed on the Amazon page, one diagram says it's 20" high and one says it's 23" high, can you confirm which one is correct? If only the top shelf was 3-5" higher with no mod, I just can't find anything.

Which would affect SQ more, having the center sit in a TV-riser-shelf (http://www.standsandmounts.com/WoodT...FeeDQgodPBYAgA) or having it sit in an enclosure like in said TV stand? Or would there really be no difference?

Just noticed on the Amazon page, one diagram says it's 20" high and one says it's 23" high, can you confirm which one is correct? If only the top shelf was 3-5" higher with no mod, I just can't find anything.

Which would affect SQ more, having the center sit in a TV-riser-shelf (http://www.standsandmounts.com/WoodT...FeeDQgodPBYAgA) or having it sit in an enclosure like in said TV stand? Or would there really be no difference?
    Here are the correct dimensions that the manufacturer provides. It is 23" in height.

I think I've finally made up my mind.

I haven't found a stand with an integrated mount that I've loved, so those are out. I'm hesitant to mod an existing stand, or place my Sierra-1 in a center compartment of a TV stand because it will be boxed-in and the sound won't be even with my mains.

So I've decided to go with this TV Riser http://www.standsandmounts.com/WoodT...Fc0-MgodtFcAmg

The Sierra-1 will go on top of whatever TV stand I get. It will fit nicely inside the TV riser, it can hold TV's up to 120lbs, and it won't be boxed-in and sound boomy (hopefully). So now I can concentrate on just finding a TV stand I like, without requiring it to cater to my center placement.

When I do buy one and get my setup all situated, I will post before and after pics

edit: temporarily out of stock... of course lol

Wish Ascend made something like this
    Last edited by edgeh2o; 03-05-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    Home - Sony 75" 900H, Denon X3500, Sierra-1 L/R, Emotiva C2+ Center
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne