Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ~$350 TV Stand

Default ~$350 TV Stand

I don't know where else to post this; I guess it could be considered an accessory to a speaker setup.

I'm looking for a new TV stand that will accommodate a 60" Plasma and of course my Sierra-1 Center, receiver, bluray, and dvr. A drawer/cabinet for blurays would be a plus. Budget $350. Prefer black.

There are many nice looking stands to choose from; the problem is most stands aren't built to accommodate a center speaker. I could get one with a big enough center space and put the center in there, but this is far from ideal. I could get a regular TV stand and get a TV Riser/TV stand shelf, but I'd be worried about stability and finding one to accommodate the large base of the Samsung PN60E7000 (considering Panasonic 60GT50 also). Or I could get a 3-1 TV stand that has an included mount, leaving the top area of the TV stand available for my center. All of the ones I've seen though are open-design concept, and ideally I'd like the inside space to be somewhat enclosed.

The closest thing I've found so far is this http://www.wayfair.com/Home-Loft-Con...7.html#reviews but I'm not sure if the center shelf would be too short for my Onkyo TX-SR707 and cause overheating problems (it already gets super hot in my shelf which is 3" higher than this one). But maybe it would be fine, maybe I'd get a Denon soon which would run cooler. I dunno the mount column doesn't look very sturdy plus it advertises for 58" TV's.

Any suggestions? I'd get a regular TV stand and mount the TV using a separate wall mount, but there is no wall for me to mount it to. The area above the stand is open to the stairs which lead down to the entry way in my apt.

Is my budget too small for what I want?

edit: this might work, kinda tall though http://www.homedepot.com/Decor-Furni...1#.URTWHmfgeSo
    Last edited by edgeh2o; 02-08-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Default Re: ~$350 TV Stand

Are you willing to mount your TV on the wall?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post
    Any suggestions? I'd get a regular TV stand and mount the TV using a separate wall mount, but there is no wall for me to mount it to. The area above the stand is open to the stairs which lead down to the entry way in my apt.
    He said there was no wall. I agree that usually wall mounting the TV is the best solution.

The closest thing I've found so far is this http://www.wayfair.com/Home-Loft-Con...7.html#reviews but I'm not sure if the center shelf would be too short for my Onkyo TX-SR707 and cause overheating problems (it already gets super hot in my shelf which is 3" higher than this one). But maybe it would be fine, maybe I'd get a Denon soon which would run cooler. I dunno the mount column doesn't look very sturdy plus it advertises for 58" TV's.
    How much does your tv weigh? There seems to be a wide variance with different models. Either of the stands you picked would probably work. The one from Home Depot looks sturdier. It's also shorter but maybe looks taller because it's narrower.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    He said there was no wall. I agree that usually wall mounting the TV is the best solution.
    oops!
    -curtis

It's above your budget, but just wanted to throw out that BDI makes a really nice TV stand. Some have a hidden drawer for the center speaker if you're looking to conceal it.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    How much does your tv weigh? There seems to be a wide variance with different models. Either of the stands you picked would probably work. The one from Home Depot looks sturdier. It's also shorter but maybe looks taller because it's narrower.
    About 75lbs if I remember correctly. Yeah the Home Depot one does look sturdier since the mounting column is much wider, just read that it is very tall, and I currently have a super low couch.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    It's above your budget, but just wanted to throw out that BDI makes a really nice TV stand. Some have a hidden drawer for the center speaker if you're looking to conceal it.
    I'll look into BDI. It would be optimum though to have the center speaker placed on top of a stand rather than in another enclosure, right? Or wouldn't it matter so much with one of the port plugs?

The wall behind the TV stand is only a half wall lol, goes up about 40", kind of different layout, maybe I'll try to get some pics uploaded.

It would be optimum though to have the center speaker placed on top of a stand rather than in another enclosure, right? Or wouldn't it matter so much with one of the port plugs?
    Always better on top of the stand rather then in another enclosure...port plugs or not.
    -curtis

The top of my tv is 60". It's a little high but I like it for when we're reclined. The stand from Home Depot is only 50". Doesn't seem too tall to me.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Always better on top of the stand rather then in another enclosure...port plugs or not.
    Plus it can show off all its beauty that way

Off topic question- what is the best way to dust off the Piano Black Sierra-1 speakers? Will any towel do or should I stick to something microfiber?