Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Pink Floyd - DSOTM is always recommended, but I do not have it yet.
    My current favorite DVD-A is from the Blue Man Group.
    R.E.M. - Automatic for the People, I like a lot as well.

-curtis

Those sound like good choices. I hear the Hotel California DVD-A is excellent as well as Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I have P/F DSOTM on regular cd, as well as their live "Pulse" cd...wonder how big an improvement over these would there be!

MAG

For some, they will not think the multi-channel experience is an improvement. The resolution of the sound is nicer though.

-curtis

I want to thank Curtis and all 563a owners who posted their thoughts here! It helped me decide to purchase one. My aging Panasonic A310 has always performed well, but had pixelation/freeze up issues with certain discs my wife/kids checked out from the library. I was not 100% sure a new player would resolve this, thinking that a bad/scratched disc would give any player the same problem. Well....I tried playing a library disc that had these issues, with the Panny, in the Pioneer and....ta-da...it played through the bad scenes without a problem.
    VINDICATION is SWEET!! So thanks again all.

MAG

Since I purchased my 563a, I came across some info regarding certain DVD-A discs which are reportedly unable to play in the Pioneer unit. This only seems to affect the 563a due to a firmware issue within the player which cannot read discs which were recorded using a specific encoder. Has anyone experienced this and with what discs?

MAG

Curtis,
    I was wondering how you have your 563a's speaker setup configured to feed your 525(i.e. everything large w/sub etc.) so the bass management in the receiver functions properly. I hooked everything up to my Outlaw per usual. When I set speakers to all small with sub on I get bass from sub(with or without 6.1 mode engaged). With all speakers set to large with sub on I get nothing from the sub. If I cannot set everything to large w/sub, than the x-over for DVD-A is 200hz thru the 563a....much too high to get any kind of blending of speakers/sub. I am working with tech support @ Outlaw about this as well- they initially suggested the all speakers large w/sub setting with the receiver in 5.1 direct and 6.1 surround engaged. As I stated above that cut out the sub. I'm waiting for their next suggestion. Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

MAG

MAG,

I have the speakers on the 563a set to large and let the 525 handle the bass management.

Most receivers do not perform bass management on the 5.1 inputs.

-curtis

That's what I thought. Do you have the sub set to on as well, or does the receiver extract the bass from the large speakers?

MAG

Yes...the sub is on. Remember, in a 5.1 recording, sometimes there is dedicated bass sent to the .1 channel. On top of that, bass below the crossover setting is also routed to the sub.

-curtis

Thanks for the fast response! I meant is the 563a set to have the sub on?(Sorry!)

MAG