Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Mag,

If all you need is just a regular prog scan DVD player, look at the Toshiba 3950($59.99 at Best Buy) or 3960($69.99 at Sears). Guys at Audio Asylum have been raving about the redbook playback on these relatively cheap DVD players.

My bad! I looked at the Outlaw's manual when I got home from job#1, and I found out that the DIRECT function is 6.1.....not 5.1, and if I manually activate the 6.1 mode while in DIRECT mode the 1050 WILL do bass management. Maybe SACD & DVD-A are possible after all. Thanks for the recommendation anyways. It's always good to hear what is being talked-up as a good value.

MAG

Are you sure?

Direct usually means no bass management.

I have a 563a, and love it, but my HK525 does do bass management on the analog 5.1 connection.

-curtis

'Evening, Curtis! The direct IS 5.1.....I have the manual in front of me. This is a direct quote from the manual;"Note, however, that bypassing the DSP also means bypassing the 1050's bass management. If you select Surround 6.1, the DSP and bass management will be active for the 5.1 Channel Direct input." Interesting, huh!? I guess it's not direct Analog then, since the DSP would be in the path, but it would give me something!

MAG

worth a shot!

-curtis

Well, I stopped by Best Buy Today during my lunch hour to check out the 563a. Pretty nice machine....in appearance! Of course it was not hooked up to anything(not even a power cord on back!). The sales clerk(kid) assured me he had heard/seen the thing playing and that it was a very good player. The $149 price is good through Saturday(27th), and if you purchase it, you can choose a free SACD or DVD-A disc from some preselected assortment...did not have time to check out titles. I have a friend who works at one of the other Best Buys about an hour away, and is checking on what his cost would be........

MAG

www.onecall.com has this player for $149.10 and that includes shipping. Since you still have to add tax to the Best Buy price, this is the better deal UNLESS you find a multi-channel disc that you want from Best Buy's offered selection.

Every penny counts, eh! Especially today when I have to spend over $400 on a car repair[xx(] But, if my friend who works at Best Buy can use their discount it would end up cheaper that way[]

MAG

Well....I saw my friend who works at Best Buy!
    There's no way I could get a better price on the 563a
    unless I bought one used in a year or two[] It was a
    MUCH better deal than I expected. I will probably pick one up
    very soon. The markup on wire/cables is insane, so I may pick up
    a set of cables for the 5.1 output also!

MAG

Curtis,

I finally came to a decision and picked up a 563a! My friend at Best Buy had moral issues about using his discount against their store policy, so I let him off the hook! I found Circuit City had an online price of $139.98 which did not even appear in their store database. The clerk looked it up on their website and adjusted the price accordingly. Ok, now to the real question! What would be a good first SACD/DVD-A title to start off with? I have heard different recording techniques can have a dramatic effect on the final listening experience.

Thanks,

MAG