Thread: A little help!

Default A little help!

I will be replacing my 20 year old B&W DM 310s with Sierra 1s. The metallic tweeter is just too much.

I'm currently driving them with a Marantz SR-7000 with 135 wpc in two channel.

I will be replacing the receiver as well.

I am currently looking at the following: Anthem MRX 300, Anthem MRX 500, Marantz SR 7007, Marantz SR 6007, Outlaw 975/7075 Combo and NAD T 757.

What do you guys think is the best way to power the Sierra's?

H

Default Re: A little help!

Anyone of those will be perfectly fine.

You need to weigh the features they all have, give weight to those that are important to you...and go from there.
    -curtis

hman,

All of those are quality components. If room correction software is essential, my personal preference would lean towards the Anthem or Marantz AVRs over the NAD. The NAD has a more stripped down version of Audyssey. Also, in case you're not aware, the the Outlaw 975 does not have any room correction software. You'll need to set distances and levels manually.

I strongly recommend reading several reviews on each unit you listed. Try to figure out which features are "essential" and which are "nice to have, but not necessary." You can break it down in to other categories as needed. There is a lot more than just watts and power output involved here.

Good luck.
    -Jacob

I just took the first step toward upgrading my system by ordering a pair of Sierra 1s.

I was very close to getting Paradigm Studio 10s after auditioning them on Thursday, but I'm going with the reviews that I've read. I'm also trying to stay away from metallic tweeters as they can get tiring on the ears. The Paradigms were amazing monitors, but I think the soft tweeters in the Sierras will make them better for me.

My buddy is a well-respected recording engineer with a great resume (he remastered some of Stevie Ray's catalog) and he recommended the Proac 100's but they are $2k.

I can't wait till my speakers arrive!

H