Thread: On Amplification with Sierra speakers - Your two cents..

Default On Amplification with Sierra speakers - Your two cents..

I'm looking for a little advise from those of you who may have more insight than I. I plan on purchasing a pair of Sierras, though I currently haven't decided which version to get... I'm waiting to hear more on the new version (Sierra-2?) that will likely be out sometime this year.

However, on amplification I have a Marantz Pm94 (A/B amp - 35 watts/channel Class A and 135 watts/channel class B) and a B&K ST1400 series II power amp (125 watts/channel). I am considering selling the B&K to help fund the speaker purchase; however, I hesitate to do that because I'd like to hear how it pairs with the Sierras. The B&K is very clean but slightly recessed in the bass region and it could possibly pair well with the Sierra 1, which is strong in that suit. The Marantz is excellent throughout the sound spectrum and is known as a very smooth solid state with high current.

I'm curious if any of you have any experience with amplification similar to this with the Sierras or any advise regarding my situation is welcome.

thanks-
    Nate

Default Re: On Amplification with Sierra speakers - Your two cents..

No experience with either amplifier, but I would just go with the Marantz.

While the Sierra-1 has great bass response, it is still very balanced, and from your description, I think the Marantz will show the Sierra's qualities across the spectrum.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    -curtis

Default Re: On Amplification with Sierra speakers - Your two cents..

Hi Nate,

I have no experience with either amplifier, but I did look up the specs and manual for these two amps to better educate myself. Both have a quality design and plenty of power reserves. One of the appealing factors for me with the Marantz is the pure Class A mode covering the first 35 watts.

If I had to pick between these two sight-unseen, I'd probably lean towards the Marantz for the reasons you mention. I have no doubt that either will serve you well. Both are excellent amplifiers. If it were me, I would really want to try the Sierra-1 on BOTH amps to prevent that "what if" feeling. I know you said you needed to sell one to fund the purchase. Tough call. Honestly, I think I'd postpone the sale until after I've tried both, so that would require other methods to purchase the speakers.

Good luck.
    -Jacob