Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best $1000 (or cheaper) Musical Receiver (Pre/Amp)?

Default Re: Best $1000 (or cheaper) Musical Receiver (Pre/Amp)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    Yeah, video processing isn't essential to me. However, I hear there is a audio drop (up to 3 seconds) when the source switches from 2.0 to 5.1 and back. Do you experience this issue? As for features, the only ones I need are HQ sound and room calibration. Network audio can be handled via other means I assume. Once setup is complete, and you're happy with the end result, do the quirks become a thing of the past or are they something you must constantly work with?
    The audio dropouts occur when there is a CODEC change. Yes, I experience it. It can happen during commercials and/or changing channels. This is the main one, and while I can live with it, I can see how others can't.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The audio dropouts occur when there is a CODEC change. Yes, I experience it. It can happen during commercials and/or changing channels. This is the main one, and while I can live with it, I can see how others can't.
    So I guess the common one would be PCM 2.0 to DD 5.1? Is 3 seconds an accurate length or an internet exaggeration? This is by no means a deal-breaker, just a curiosity. The benefit of high quality sound far outweighs that problem.

Is the 1daysale, $299 deal something to expect in the near future or would it be best just to go with a new one from A4L? Has firmware been completely abandoned and is it still possible to get the +3 and +6 bass boost files? Also what are your opinions on those?

Sorry for all the questions, I tend to get paranoid right before a larger than usual purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    So I guess the common one would be PCM 2.0 to DD 5.1? Is 3 seconds an accurate length or an internet exaggeration? This is by no means a deal-breaker, just a curiosity. The benefit of high quality sound far outweighs that problem.

Is the 1daysale, $299 deal something to expect in the near future or would it be best just to go with a new one from A4L? Has firmware been completely abandoned and is it still possible to get the +3 and +6 bass boost files? Also what are your opinions on those?

Sorry for all the questions, I tend to get paranoid right before a larger than usual purchase.
    Actually...that really isn't a common one.

I many cases, going from show to a commercial and back to the show, there is a break in the CODEC...even from 5.1 to 5.1. Also, cable companies insert their own commercials...this causes delays as well.

I don't know if there will be $300 refurbs available again.

The bass boost files are floating around...I have them and would be glad to send them to you. All they do is raise the sub level as if you were raising the gain on the sub (confirmed by Trinnov)...so they are not that big of a deal.

It looks as though firmware development has been abandoned.
    -curtis