Thread: Securing Sierra-1 to speaker stand

Default Securing Sierra-1 to speaker stand

I will be receiving my Sierra-1's soon and wanted to find out what, if anything you are placing in-between the bottom and speaker stand top plate, e.g. blu-tack, rubber pads, etc? I have the Sanus Steel Series stands.

Default Re: Securing Sierra-1 to speaker stand

I would definitely put something between the speaker and the stand. You don't want to scratch your Sierras!

I just use rubber nubs.
    -curtis

I use Blu-tack. I like it because the speaker won't get accidentally bumped off of the stand.

I too use blu-tack for my sierras and it doesn't seem to have affected the finish. Found it at Ace Hardware. Highly recommended.

What about blu-tack vs Quake Hold Crystalline Clear Museum Wax?

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthy View Post
    What about blu-tack vs Quake Hold Crystalline Clear Museum Wax?
    I think they are pretty much the same thing.
    -curtis

Regarding using blu-tak etc...
    I feel silly asking this but here goes: How do you guys mount the speaker so that it's centered/aligned exactly where you want it? If you put some tak on the stand/top plate and try to set the speaker on top it's pretty hard to see what you're doing, huh? If you try to look from below don't your arms get quite the 'burn' trying to hold the speaker up? If you're just a bit off, you gotta re-arrange the blu-tak and start again. Ugh... I tried with the speaker upside-down on the floor and stuck the stand on top of it (also upside-down of course). Easy to align that way, but needed two guys and multiple tries 'cause every time we tried to turn the thing over the stand would un-stick from the speaker.

What do you suggest is the best way to do it next time?

Quote Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
    Regarding using blu-tak etc...
    I feel silly asking this but here goes: How do you guys mount the speaker so that it's centered/aligned exactly where you want it? If you put some tak on the stand/top plate and try to set the speaker on top it's pretty hard to see what you're doing, huh? If you try to look from below don't your arms get quite the 'burn' trying to hold the speaker up? If you're just a bit off, you gotta re-arrange the blu-tak and start again. Ugh... I tried with the speaker upside-down on the floor and stuck the stand on top of it (also upside-down of course). Easy to align that way, but needed two guys and multiple tries 'cause every time we tried to turn the thing over the stand would un-stick from the speaker.

What do you suggest is the best way to do it next time?
    I've been wondering about this myself. I read about the speaker upside down method, but as you said turning it over seems difficult, especially if I want to put sand in the base.

I don't know if this will work, but I'm going to try. I'm going to trace an outline of the speaker stand top plate onto a piece of cardboard and then take the cardboard piece and center it on the bottom of the stand. I will place 8 pieces of tape, 2 adjacent to each corner of the cardboard (creating a right angle), onto the speaker and then take off the cardboard. Inside each tape corner I will place a small ball of blu-tack.

Now comes the tricky part - placing the speaker on the stand. Hopefully eyeing into down onto the top plate won't be that difficult.

I might practice with a box or piece of wood using another surface to simulate the top plate.
    Last edited by noteworthy; 02-08-2013 at 11:25 PM.

The Sanus Steel stands come with rubber grommets that do an excellent job of isolating the speaker from the stand.They are easy to insert and are all you need to protect the speaker and to get the awesome sound of Ascend.

The top plate of my Sanus stands are the exact width of the Sierra-1. So I centered it by feel. The Blu-Tac will wiggle some before it gets really set.