Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best $1000 (or cheaper) Musical Receiver (Pre/Amp)?

Question Best $1000 (or cheaper) Musical Receiver (Pre/Amp)?

I'm the new owner of 3 Sierra-1 NRT's. I got them at a steal, but I'm worried I'll waste their potential. While music only makes up about 20-30% of my listening, I'm a huge sucker for film and television scores/soundtracks. Output/power/loudness or whatever you want to call it easily comes behind detail, resolution, and soundstage for me. My setup will be in a average size apartment living room, so I don't want to get disturbingly loud. I do, however, want to be immersed in pristine sound that will amaze me time and time again.

I fear audiophile snake-oil. Not since browsing a voodoo shop in New Orleans have I seen so much mystical nonsense surround an industry. Placebo affect seems to have a strong impact on a large amount of audiophiles. I've looked at a few receiver reviews, but its really hard to tell what needs to be taken with a grain of salt and what doesn't. For instance, there are many people who claim Marantz and Denon sound the exact same. They're both technically Denon, so why shouldn't they? However, a specific website that reviewed comparable offerings from the two brands clearly gave the victory to Marantz.

Then there's the Pro/Amp group. The new Emotiva offerings are very tempting, but have the benefits of such a system really been documented or is more talk from the easily fooled? Currently I'm looking at the Denon 3312, Marantz 5007, and Emotiva UMC-200+amp. Are there real differences between these setups? Do the price jumps justify the possible benefits? Are there better ones for the price range? I need help.

Default Re: Best $1000 (or cheaper) Musical Receiver (Pre/Amp)?

Also take a look at Outlaw Audio 975/7075 combo. It's $1098 so a bit more the $1000. Outlaw is a internet direct retailer like Emotiva.

Sorry not going to get into the receiver vs. separates debate. Both sides make good points and I think ultimately it's a personal choice. Many online retailers like emotiva and outlaw will allow a 30 day audition period, which may help with your final decision.

I purchased my Denon 4311 for just under $1,200 shipped. Slightly over budget but worth considering. If you're interested PM and I'll let you know how I was able to get this deal.

I can vouch for Marantz. I have the SR6003 powering my Sierra-1 NrT's with a 12" Rythmik sub and the sonics are very nice!

Having said that, if you can exceed your budget slightly the Outlaw 975+amp would be worth a look. I have not owned any Emotiva gear but I regularly consider adding one of their amps to my setup. I have not, mainly because the Marantz has been more than adequate so justifying the purchase is tough. Going with separates will allow you to upgrade your power later on if you need/desire to do so.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    I purchased my Denon 4311 for just under $1,200 shipped. Slightly over budget but worth considering. If you're interested PM and I'll let you know how I was able to get this deal.
    Are there deals on other receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Also take a look at Outlaw Audio 975/7075 combo. It's $1098 so a bit more the $1000. Outlaw is a internet direct retailer like Emotiva.

Sorry not going to get into the receiver vs. separates debate. Both sides make good points and I think ultimately it's a personal choice. Many online retailers like emotiva and outlaw will allow a 30 day audition period, which may help with your final decision.
    Yeah I'd really like separates just from an "audiophile" standpoint, but the price jump really makes me wonder what the truth is behind the benefit claims. I do like Outlaw, in fact, I'm considering the M8 Sub for my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I can vouch for Marantz. I have the SR6003 powering my Sierra-1 NrT's with a 12" Rythmik sub and the sonics are very nice!

Having said that, if you can exceed your budget slightly the Outlaw 975+amp would be worth a look. I have not owned any Emotiva gear but I regularly consider adding one of their amps to my setup. I have not, mainly because the Marantz has been more than adequate so justifying the purchase is tough. Going with separates will allow you to upgrade your power later on if you need/desire to do so.
    Nice to hear. At the moment I'm leaning towards an SR5006, but I've told the quality of the components improves significantly in the SR6xxx line...again all hearsay from internet audiophiles. I wish there was evidence to back the 1000's of claims I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    Are there deals on other receivers?
    The only other receiver I inquired about was the Denon 3313 which was available at $900 without any haggling (msrp of $1,200 I believe). Similar to the 4311 but without Audyssey XT32 and less watts per channel.

Sounds like you are inclined to other brands...what I'd recommend is finding authorized e-retailers and call around to see who will give you the best deal.

I would recommend a receiver with good room correction technology. Our rooms are not perfect :-)
    Denon 4311 is a good one with Odyssey xt32. The other one would be Sherwood R-972 at A4less for $600. However, you should be willing to live with a few quirks with Sherwood.

2 ch or HT receiver? For HT the network capable Marantz NR-1603 (50W @ 8 ohm) $650 sounds clear and clean like a dedicated 2ch amp. If you're into 2ch you may want to get the new upcoming D7050 network 2ch integrated amp from NAD that uses the real digital (power DAC) topology for $900. That tech previously only available above $2k just a year ago.