Thread: Audio from verizon fios set up

Default Audio from verizon fios set up

I received sierra towers with RAAL past thursday. I have connected the fios setup box/dvr with a HDMI cable and running it through pioneer vsx 1020. When playing songs through my ipod the sound is terrific ( I know.. I am waiting for funds for an oppo ) but the sound from fios tv sounds terrible. It is very anaemic much much worse than sound coming from default tv speakers.

I am planning to use another HDMI cable or run a tos link cable from the fios dvr to the receiver. Is this what is expected or am I doing something wrong?

Default Re: Audio from verizon fios set up

If I remember correctly, the FiOS DVR has dynamic range compression turned on by default...you will have to search for the settings and shut it off.

Also, set the volume control on the DVR to "fixed" not "variable".
    -curtis

In addition, if you are running 5.1/7.1 etc, make sure the DVR is set to "surround".

It might take some searching to find all these settings.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis

Finding and changing the settings was easy. The sound improved just a bit but is not definitely worth $3k speakers for it. Blose sound was much better for the same price. Sorry:-). I am trying to watch "palladia" channel which has some live music shows and they sound really horrible.

There is nothing wrong with the speakers I think (though I heard some wooferish sound twice so far on the left speaker- which will be another question later on :-) ), songs from my ipod and audio cds being played through SONY slim ps3 are very good.

I am running the speakers through a pioneer vsx 1020 I bought almost 3 yrs ago. I was once told by an audio expert not to drive expensive speakers with cheapo receivers. Is this what at play here?

I also asked Dave the same question though PM.

Hi Curtis

I got my DVR swapped from verizon and things are much better. But in all honesty, I dont think one should expect exceptional audio quality from a cable/set up box I guess. My other sources are sounding phenomenal with the speakers.

I am not sure why Dave/Ascend still keep selling the subwoofers . With just the two towers with RAAL at about 8 feet from the speakers - we are totally surrounded with quality sound that we dont think we would need a subwoofer or surround speakers in our living area set up.

I have auditioned Paradigm studio 100s which I found bright/forward. I do have Bowers Wilkins CM9s in my basement ( I am not sure if I should sell them out for loss and get the towers for the basement too) but the towers with RAAL are just perfect for us.

Thanks a lot for your help

Add a Rythmik subwoofer, and you'll understand why Dave sells them.
    -curtis