Thread: Sierra 1 - Horizontal Orientation

Default Sierra 1 - Horizontal Orientation

Background: I am considering upgrading my speakers in what is covertly being transformed from a kid's playroom to a man cave. The TV, components and speakers are housed in a built-in book case, with speaker shelf height limited to 11" in the ideal configuration, with a depth of approximately 22", and width not being an issue.

Plan: I would *like* to be able to go with the Sierra 1's for the Mains and Center, but the bookshelf location would require that the Left and Rights be horizontally oriented. I do see in the product description that they can be horizontally oriented, however, before moving that direction, I have a couple of questions.

Questions:
    1. Assuming I purchase Sierra 1 Mains and rotate the tweeters 90 degrees, would their horizontal orientation result in any on or off-axis performance issues? There would be approximately 6' of separation between the Left and Right speakers, and they would be approximately 8' from the primary listening position.
    2. How much would the bookshelf enclosure of 11" H x 22" D degrade the performance of the rear-ported Sierra 1?
    2. Is the tweeter rotation something that can easily be done at home or do I need to request this modification when ordering?
    3. I assume that the Sierra 1 Centers are identical to the Sierra 1 Mains other than the orientation of the tweeter and the location and orientation of the logo on the grilles, correct? If so, I assume there would be no reason I couldn't just go with three Centers across the front rather than a Center and Mains, thereby having the tweeter and grille logos oriented correctly out of the box?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

photo (4).JPG
    Last edited by jakeroux; 01-08-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added picture of set up.

Default Re: Sierra 1 - Horizontal Orientation

Quote Originally Posted by jakeroux View Post

Questions:
    1. Assuming I purchase Sierra 1 Mains and rotate the tweeters 90 degrees, would their horizontal orientation result in any on or off-axis performance issues?
    2. How much would the bookshelf enclosure of 11" H x 22" D degrade the performance of the rear-ported Sierra 1?.
    1. I don't think you would have any issues at all. Less than the lobing issues with MTM centers.
    2. The cabinet could be an issue but using the Q-Plugs would help. Do you have a sub? A crossover of 80hrtz would help with the cabinet issues too.

Thanks, natetg57. Yes, I do have a HSU STF-1 tucked away down in the bottom right of the bookcase. I also use use Audyssey on the Denon 2112 to calibrate, but not clear if that would adequately compensate for the the enclosures around both the sub and ported mains. Thanks again for the input, still weighing options and decision.

If Ascend will rotate the tweeters at no additional cost might as well have them do it. If not, it is simple enough to do yourself.
    Also, the center version has a full-length grille which covers the entire baffle, where the standard L/R grille leaves the bottom 1"-2" exposed. Might want to get the full grille for all speakers.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    If Ascend will rotate the tweeters at no additional cost might as well have them do it. If not, it is simple enough to do yourself.
    Also, the center version has a full-length grille which covers the entire baffle, where the standard L/R grille leaves the bottom 1"-2" exposed. Might want to get the full grille for all speakers.
    Of course, we would be happy to rotate the tweeters and even replace the standard grilles with the full length grilles at no charge We have done this for many customers who wish to use the Sierra-1 positioned horizontally.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com