Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cut off some freuency from Rythmik subwoofer

Default Re: How to cut off some freuency from Rythmik subwoofer

Remember....

I keep seeing folks in forums who run the subwoofers hot and play over volumes around -10db and windows/wall/photo shaking. We dont play louder than -25db at best.
    Those numbers are arbitrary, and don't really mean anything unless you have an SPL to correlate them to.

I tried to check the db level with an iphone app and it shows the average as 75db at the loudest and the peak as 88 db or something
    The iphone app has been shown to be inaccurate.

Depending on how the place in constructed, bass levels of 88db could be pretty bothersome.

Hopefully your neighbor will let you experience what he is hearing.
    -curtis

There should be special neighborhoods for people that work at night or can't stand other people having a good time. Jeez.

Those darn night workers, spoiling our fun.

B.

Default Re: How to cut off some frequency from Rythmik subwoofer

What would be a fairly accurate SPL meter that I could use when I go into his property? I tried Radio Shack meter but returned it back as a lot of folks said it is erronous.

I am working with Ted White from soundproofingcompany.com and have to admit he is really amazing. I did not spend a dollar on his company or products but I am mighty impressed with his knowledge and service.

Anyway he thinks that the problem could be a few resonance frequencies that could be the real culprit and if I can identify those, I could save my money just by cutting them out completely - which was the initial purpose and title of this thread.

Being a newbie, my plan is to play the test frequencies on my laptop connected to my system using a HDMI cable and listen on the other side to see if any of the frequencies pop out as annoying instantly. I do not know any better way to do this and you guys can help me here.

Is there a particular master volume at which I need to play the test frequencies? In my super enthusiasm to help my neighbour, I dont want to muck up my expensive set up.

Thank you

No they are not night workers nor do we play our system at night. They do not want us to play anything on our side at any time if they can listen/feel it. I will come to know what is really going on at his side pretty soon.

Time for an update.

I went to my neighbors place today and had my wife play the music at the same level when the cops came the other day. I did not hear anything at all. But he said he was able to listen to everything. Then I asked my wife to play the u571 depth charge scene at -20db which we never played at that level so far and I could barely hear the explosions and I am expecting to hear something. It was very much muffled. Then to make sure that I have not gone deaf I asked my wife to go in to his place and I played both music and movies.My wifes observations has been the same. she could not listen to any music at all and barely heard the bass notes in the depth charge scene.

Then we asked to guy to come over and see my set up. I showed him the recommendations I followed like moving the speakers away as much as possible from the common wall, plug the woofer cones behind the speakers, move the subwoofer nearfield, use only LFE setting and not LFE+Main, set xover to 120Hz, xover for speakers to 80Hz. He asked me show the subwoofer level which was set to -1.0 db. ( He was expecting to see this at +10 db and was surprised). I also turned the sub off completely and just played the same music through my L+R speakers and he could not identify any difference thanks to my Rythmik sealed sub which has ZERO BOOM. ZIP NADA NOTHING:-). He could not say anything else.

I politely but firmly said that I did what I could do on my own and honestly cannot bend over any more. He said he is ready to take it next level I asked him to do what ever he feels like and reminded him that cops came thrice and didnt even warn me a single time. He said he will speak to his wife and let us know.

Bottom line, I was imagining that I am rocking his house and blasting his ears but looks like he is just making a mess of things. I do not want to judge him but looks like he ( actually I honestly think it is the she that is the problem) is really very super sensitive.

There was no need for a calibrated spl meter or spectrum analyzers or anything. These guys need to chill out a little and adjust to a normal routine life in a multi-family situation.

so peace for time being before the next storm. sad situation.

Time to buy some good headphones, or quit using the Sub until you get a place without shared walls.
    The power of the law, unfortunately, belongs to your neighbor.

Is it possible that his feelings were ignored by continuing to play the music loud, until he reached this point?

I understand your frustration. I chose the same battle once. It can't be won.

B.

Start making up stupid stuff about him that annoys you and see if he likes it. I bet the human voice is audible through the wall too. Tell him he needs to stop talking at full volume with his wife between 12am and 12pm. Also that he smells and needs to make his place air tight so you can't smell his filth any more.

some peole are like that. They cannot let some one enjoy what they dont enjoy. I bet if they ever come to this side and listen to what I am listening they may realize what they are missing. This statement can be easily misunderstood. I am not bragging or judging them. once some one crosses a certain age, the listening abilities start going down, enthusiam to try new things goes down and hard habits/opinions and judgements sink in ( including this one). It always looks like the other guy is an idiot.

It is just my plain bad luck that I got very noise sensitive people as my neighbors. But I hope everything gets resolved soon. I will try not to play anything even reasonably loud after 9 PM and hope they will let me enjoy my system in the day time atleast.

There is always something. My pet peeve is Off Road Vehicles. We live in a gated rural community, and I am the Troll for insisting that The CC&R's prohibiting the use of OHV's is enforced. Sitting on our deck, and enjoying the mountain views is a lot nicer without the noise. But, the law is on my side....

B.