Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you listen to music (devices, etc.)?

Default Re: How do you listen to music (devices, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I listen to 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192 resolution FLAC files via a dedicated audio PC. The PC has no moving parts and is based on an Intel DN-2800MT mother board and ATOM processor on Windows 8 (you can search for C.A.P.S v3 in google to see the specs).
    This is an interesting idea which I may pursue instead of using a laptop as a music server (the fan noise). NAD recently announces the little brother of the C390DD int amp called the D7050 which is also direct digital 50W (power DAC) and accepts wifi + all kinds of digital input while costing below $1000. Since it is direct digital then technically you can just use the PC directly USB asynchronous out which is jitter free to the integrated amp. This is I'm assuming that the only reason you use a USB to SPDIF convertor is due to the integrated amp's analog input.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/new-nad

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    This is an interesting idea which I may pursue instead of using a laptop as a music server (the fan noise). NAD recently announces the little brother of the C390DD int amp called the D7050 which is also direct digital 50W (power DAC) and accepts wifi + all kinds of digital input while costing below $1000. Since it is direct digital then technically you can just use the PC directly USB asynchronous out which is jitter free to the integrated amp. This is I'm assuming that the only reason you use a USB to SPDIF convertor is due to the integrated amp's analog input.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/new-nad

The reason for the USB to SPDIF converter to have a low jitter bit stream between the PC and the DAC. Also, my DAC only does 24/192 on the SPDIF input. The USB interface is limited to 24/96. So the HiFace II allows me to play 24/192 files without having to down sample.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears the approach is varied, some simple set ups to rather complex configurations, for a novice like me at least. I still haven't purchased a new unit, but am leaning towards a Sony 3d blu ray player.

As an aside, if my schedule holds up, I might get to demo the towers today at Ascend. It's like waiting for Christmas to arrive...

I also use a computer as my source of music.

90% ALAC (Apple Lossless), 10% 320kbps mp3 CBR, using iTunes as the player.

HTPC is Intel i7-860, 8GB DDR3, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Samsung F3 1GB storage, and AMD HD5770.

Computer is connected to Onkyo TX-SR707 via HDMI from my video card.

AFAIK, there is nothing I can do to give me better sound apart from adding an amp or upgrading receiver. My HTPC does no decoding, music is transferred digital-to-digital untouched straight to my receiver's DAC.

I'm at the Ascend facility...actually down the street grabbing a beer while they build my towers and Horizon . I can't wait to get home and listen to some music. I'm on my mobile so I'll post my thoughts later but obviously loved it considering I'm buying. And the Ascend folks are really cool. Great customer service.

Hi jahjd2000,

Ya know, every time I hear about someone visiting Ascend in person, I cry a little bit inside. Oh how I envy you!

Yes, I agree that the Ascend folks are really cool. I'm so glad you had a positive experience and I know you'll love the set built just for you. I would be interested in your thoughts later when you've had some time to listen.

Enjoy!
    -Jacob

I recently purchased a pair of CBM-170 SE's and a Denon AVR-1712. I have quite a bit of music as FLAC files on my Sony Vaio laptop. I play them using foobar2000.

What's the best way to play them with my setup? So far I've tried HDMI from the laptop directly to the receiver, which worked. I'm also looking into using a toslink mini-plug adapter so that I can run an optical cable from my laptop to reciever.

Is there a way for me listen without any decoding? How much does decoding change the sound?

Dark Ranger, I feel you. I feel fortunate to be close enough to ascend to demo at their facility. For example I can hear Dave playing the test tunes (Audyssey esque sounds). It's really cool to see the sausage factory so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    Dark Ranger, I feel you. I feel fortunate to be close enough to ascend to demo at their facility. For example I can hear Dave playing the test tunes (Audyssey esque sounds). It's really cool to see the sausage factory so to speak.
    It was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for being so patient with us today. I am very happy that we were able to complete the order for you in a (somewhat) timely manner

We hope you absolutely LOVE the speakers and you are welcome here anytime!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thanks for the hospitality and I can't believe you guys fulfilled my order!!! Totally wasn't expecting that; you guys are awesome. You run a top shelf organization and I'm fortunate to have been able to see the factory and talk to you and your team. Really appreciate hanging out at the warehouse and I can't wait to unbox my new toys. Tomorrow is going to fun. My wife is already telling me about all the movies we have to re-watch.

Jason
    Ascend.jpg