Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you listen to music (devices, etc.)?

Default How do you listen to music (devices, etc.)?

I'm doing a complete overhaul of my HT system. Just ordered the Denon 4311 and am planning to upgrade my speakers and TV. In the past I've mainly listened to music through Apple TV (streaming from phone), but I know there are better ways to enjoy music.

How do you generally listen to music (SACD, CD, DVD, etc.) and what device(s) would you recommend? I've been looking at the Oppo 93 since it does audio and video (3d player).

The other option I'm considering is, buy a cheaper 3d blu ray player and use one of the 4311's audio options (e.g., usb) for music. This is all pretty new to me so was curious how others enjoy music.

Default Re: How do you listen to music (devices, etc.)?

Hi jahjd2000,

I use a few methods to play music these days. Most of the time, I play lossless WAV and FLAC files directly from my HTPC via JRiver Media Center. I also use a Logitech Squeezebox Touch in my bedroom to stream stuff from the HTPC. However, I also have a 4+ years old HK SACD / DVD-A player in my primary system and a regular CD / HDCD player in my bedroom system for when the HTPC is turned off.

If you're looking for a high-quality universal disc player, I recommend the OPPO if you can swallow the cost. It'll play nearly any disc under the sun with features galore. Network streaming may improve on the newer models, but at the moment there is no support for playlists. Otherwise, you can play albums or individual tracks over the network just fine. That said, you can get cheaper universal players that will do the trick as well. You don't need to spend OPPO money to get a good experience, but in my opinion it is worth it for a top-shelf player. If my HK SACD / DVD player ever dies, I will replace it with an OPPO. I also bought my parents a new BDP-103 in November (they love it).

One thing to check on the universal players regarding SACD: some absolutely require that you use the analog 6 channel outputs. They will not convert DSD to PCM or send the DSD stream to an AVR digitally over HDMI. My HK is like this and I have to use the built-in 6 channel analog outputs. It's worth noting that the OPPO players can output the native DSD stream via HDMI, and your 4311 is one of a handful of receivers capable of accepting a native DSD stream (both 2 channel and multichannel in Direct mode). There are other universal players out there that support native DSD over HDMI (specifically those dual HDMI ports), but be sure to check. If the player does not support DSD or conversion to PCM over HDMI, you'll be stuck using the player's analog outputs instead.

If you're looking for whole-house streamers, look into Sonos since Squeezebox is basically dead now. There are also other music streaming systems out there, but that is not my forte.

This may not be very helpful since I did not offer specific brand/model recommendations.

EDIT: For non-OPPO universal disc players, I'd suggest you check out what Sony and Panasonic are offering these days.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 01-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    -Jacob

As I've said in your other thread, I was in a similar situation quite recently. I've found that I listen to a lot more music when I don't have to deal with physical media. I just keep a large FLAC/MKV library on my desktop and use Serviio to stream FLACs to the receiver and MKVs to my cheap Sony BDP-S590. Running Cat5 cabling from the desktop to the receiver and BD player wasn't an option for me, and WiFi didn't prove very reliable, so I ended up with a Powerline AV 500 setup that delivers solid 80-100 mbps. Keeping all your music on an external HDD is of course another option, but I promise you that you will be sick of carrying it back and forth between the receiver and your computer every time you want to add some new music. There is something very satisfying about adding a new music folder on your computer, hitting refresh in Serviio and being immediately able to play it on your receiver.

That takes care of music and MKV video, but there's still a matter of BDs and online video. I'm not convinced I need a $500 Oppo just to decode BD video. I much prefer spending $100 a year on a new Sony BDP with the latest streaming service support. I've been very happy with my Sony BDP-S590, and a new model will be coming out in March. If you do want an OPPO and care about Netflix 1080p DD+ streaming, you need to get a 103 rather than 93.

Thanks for the replies! Definitely two approaches for me to think about.

On one hand, I see the benefits of the Oppo given its diverse feature set. I probably wouldn’t take advantage of all the features initially, but at least they exist should I decide to later on. One distinct benefit the Oppo has is its 4k upscaling; however, and this is a big “but”, I believe that feature is useless if your TV doesn’t support it.

And on the other hand, if I plan to stream most of my music, and would use HDMI to connect the Oppo (which bypasses its DAC I believe), maybe the standalone Sony (or the like) player would be the better approach.

I guess I need to research the incremental benefits of going the Oppo route and decide if it's worth the additional $400. I could repurpose that $400 to upgrade to the RAAL tweeter on the horizon, or presumably Sierra-2.

Yes, unless you have that one $30K 80" Sony model with 4K resolution, 4K upscaling is currently of no benefit, as there are no consumer displays or content with that resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    One distinct benefit the Oppo has is its 4k upscaling; however, and this is a big “but”, I believe that feature is useless if your TV doesn’t support it.
    Correct. Unless you're one of the lucky few with a 4K TV, it matters not.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    And on the other hand, if I plan to stream most of my music, and would use HDMI to connect the Oppo (which bypasses its DAC I believe), maybe the standalone Sony (or the like) player would be the better approach.

I guess I need to research the incremental benefits of going the Oppo route and decide if it's worth the additional $400. I could repurpose that $400 to upgrade to the RAAL tweeter on the horizon, or presumably Sierra-2.
    For some, they enjoy managing and loading physical media because it enhances the experience. I know a few vinyl buffs who say that is part of the fun. If you are one of those types who enjoys handling physical media, there's no problem with that. However, like Kisakuku mentioned, there is unparalleled convenience with today's digital storage and streaming options. I definitely prefer loading up music from my HTPC, but also don't mind loading physical discs now and then. It's part of the fun.

I can't fault anyone for wanting to save money. The OPPO may be complete overkill for your needs. I suggest you visit their website and review all the features on the current models. If you find yourself tossing out most of them and saying "I don't need that," then that helps narrow the decision. If I can use a car analogy, most folks don't need to drive around in a Jaguar XKR or Mercedes S-Class to be happy. You can buy a VW Passat or Ford Fusion and still get around in style and safety. You just get less toys and less bragging rights.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 01-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    If I can use a car analogy, most folks don't need to drive around in a Jaguar XKR or Mercedes S-Class to be happy. You can buy a VW Passat or Ford Fusion and still get around in style and safety. You just get less toys and less bragging rights.
    Not an entirely correct analogy, since for certain things a new cheap Sony BDP is actually better than an OPPO 93/95.

Don't forget the new Oppos have HDMI input, so if upconverting your cable/sat is desirable, this would be an excellent option to me (anything to avoid running it through the AVR is a good thing to me.) With this setup, and the addition of one of the widely available and affordable amps, your 4311 would be operating as an audio pre-pro.

Well, my analogy was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and as most car analogies go, not completely accurate.

Although the WV or Ford could actually be better than the high-end cars in many ways: cost of insurance, MPG, less expensive to maintain, etc. It all comes down to what one desires.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by fjames View Post
    With this setup, and the addition of one of the widely available and affordable amps, your 4311 would be operating as an audio pre-pro.
    Unless one is running an 11.x setup with a 4311, there's absolutely no reason to get a separate amp to drive the Sierra Towers.