Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sierra 1 & bass distortion?

Default Re: Sierra 1 & bass distortion?

Sorry, I misread and thought you were the original poster (883). The last part about the 50 Hz crossover applied to OP.

The recommendation stands, though, if you're running a similar setup as OP. There is so much technical detail in this field. I love it.

Take care!
    -Jacob

Default Re: Sierra 1 & bass distortion?

Quote Originally Posted by ats_phd View Post
    Dave,

Can't the cross over be designed not to allow frequency content less than the designed minimum frequency?

Aravind
    There is an acoustic high pass filter in all loudspeakers based on the cabinet volume and type of "tuning". With a ported loudspeaker, the bass response of the speaker rolls off very quickly below the port tune frequency (24dB/octave). However, this is not an electrical filter, meaning that the full range signal will still reach the woofer and the woofer will make an attempt at reproducing them.

Adding a passive electrical high pass filter for the low frequency woofer is just not done in a loudspeaker design. First off, this would require a capacitor in series with the woofer with a value of approximately 470uF, which is extremely large and I don't believe even available. Instead we would essentially have to use (2) 200uF caps and one 100uF cap all in parallel. For metalized polypropylene caps, I would estimate the total cost of just these caps to be around $180. We would then also require a 17mH inductor in parallel with the woofer, this also would be a huge component and I would estimate the cost of this to be around $80 for an air-core inductor. We would essentially be adding $500 in manufacturing costs to each pair of Sierra-1 (estimated retail price increase of $800) This new filter, while beneficial to reduce low frequencies below port tune, would also produce large phase shifts and serious impedance issues, literally destroying the overall performance of the woofer.

Loudspeakers are like a car, any car can be driven well past its potential with regard to speed and handling and thus risk serious mechanical issues. It is up to the user to use the device properly.

Hope this makes sense
    Last edited by davef; 01-29-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com